Student Withdrawals

Eastern Oregon University acknowledges that emergency circumstances sometimes arise, often beyond your control, which may prevent you from being able to complete your coursework.

There are several options for you to consider:

Academic Withdrawal Requests

A student may drop from a course for any reason with no record on the student’s transcript before the end of the 4th week of the term. Thereafter, a student must withdraw from the course (see withdrawal policy – p.27 of EOU Catalog, 2016-17). Drop fees will be assessed in accordance with the fee policies stated in the Schedule of Classes. Use the following form which is routed to the Registrar’s Office for processing:

Incomplete Requests

Contact your instructor to request an Incomplete (I).

An “I” grade (Incomplete) is assigned by the instructor if the quality of work is satisfactory, but students have been prevented by circumstances beyond their control from completing all of the requirements of the course. It is the instructor’s prerogative to judge the validity of these circumstances.

The instructor determines the step[s] the student must take to remove the deficiency, the time allowed for doing so, the alternate grade (usually F) to be assigned if they fail to complete the work in the time allowed. The student and the Registrar’s Office are informed of the instructor’s requirements in writing. Incomplete grades not removed by the date specified (limited to one term unless otherwise [agreed upon]) automatically revert to the alternate grade specified by the instructor.

Please NOTE:

  • If you are on financial aid and your request for an Incomplete is approved, you need to be aware that you must still meet satisfactory academic progress standards. The approval of an extension of time may mean that you will not meet those standards.
  • If you have questions, regarding financial implications as a result of an “incomplete” being granted, contact EOU’s Financial Aid Office at:
    Telephone: (541) 962-3550,

Medical Withdrawal Requests

Instructions for a medical withdrawal are listed below. Please note that these steps do not guarantee that a medical withdrawal will be approved OR that the withdrawal will occur immediately. Most withdrawals take several weeks to complete, depending on the circumstances of the withdrawal. 

Important to note: Withdrawals do NOT refund or waive your tuition.  Financial aid recipients granted a medical withdrawal before the 60% point of the term may be required to repay some of all of the aid they received for the term, per federal aid regulations.  Student Affairs may consider exceptions to the refund policy when properly documented mitigating factors exist. We encourage all students who may wish to pursue a medical withdrawal to speak Financial Aid ( to evaluate the potential implications of the withdrawal.

Step One: Students must first speak with our Interim Director of Student Relations, Jordan Withers. Students will need to provide details pertaining to their circumstances requesting a medical withdrawal. The Director of Student Relations will assist students in connecting to resources and understanding what this process entails, if it is deemed appropriate to continue forward. 

  • Please email or for assistance. Students may also call 541-962-3635.
  • NOTE: Students MUST speak with Colleen for this process to begin. Email communication is not sufficient to initiate this process. 

Step Two: Once your withdrawal is permitted, you will be emailed (to your EOU email) the link to the withdrawal form. It is the student’s responsibility to complete this form. Failure to complete the form will result in no progress for your withdrawal. 

  • Students must submit approved medical documentation (note on letterhead from a doctor’s office, screenshots from MyChart, etc.). If the form is submitted without documentation, students will be emailed and given three weeks to submit documentation before their withdrawal request is marked as closed. 

Step Three: Once the form is complete and submitted, Student Affairs will communicate with your professors, college dean(s), etc. to get authorization. As long as all parties approve of the withdrawal request, Student Affairs will inform you when the process is complete by sending an email to your EOU email. 

Click here to read the Medical Withdrawal Policy

Disability Assistance

If you have a documented disability or suspect that you have a learning disorder and need assistance, please contact the Disability Services Office in Loso Hall Room 234. Telephone: 541- 962-3235, or e-mail: