The Grants Administration office at EOU is responsible for post-award monitoring and reporting. Our office also reviews all grant proposals at least 2 weeks prior to submission, and requires that a Grant Submission Approval Form be signed and submitted to our office prior to applying for any outside funding. EOU does have a new tax ID number, so be sure to obtain the new information before submitting any new proposals. Please contact Haley Evans with any questions.
The Grant Administration office works with the University community-especially faculty principal investigators (PI’s) and department grant administrators, but also including EOU administrative officials, business managers and affiliated organizations such as the EOU Foundation – to provide services in two main areas:
1) Proposal Preparation and Clearance – from application materials and budget assistance, to final review, official endorsement, and submission of proposals to funding agencies, public and private, for support of research, instruction, and public service projects.
2) Grant and Contract Administration – from inception by review and acceptance of awards and account set up, through the award’s administration, financial reporting, and final closeout.
I invite you to contact the Grant Administration for assistance with any of the activities described here.
Proposal Planning, Preparation and Submission
All proposals submitted – in hard copy or electronically – by EOU faculty, students or staff to external funding sources (public and private sponsors) must be reviewed, cleared and endorsed by grant administration on behalf of the University prior to submission. The following activities are handled by and through Grant Administration:
- Assistance with the preparation of application forms and guidelines, required proposal certifications, and institutional information required by sponsors such as audit reports or tax ID.
- Preliminary review and approval of budgets before final proposal clearance.
- Compliance areas such as human subjects or animal use are certified on proposals as approved or pending approval by institutional committees.
- Mailing of the proposal if all required copies are provided before the deadline.
Grant and Contract Administration
Awards are made to the University as the official grantee, or in special circumstances (for some private funds only) to the EOU Foundation on behalf of the University. The PI is responsible for the technical work but does not receive the award directly. Grant Administration manages grants and contracts for the University as follows:
- Receipt, review and institutional acceptance of the official award document, both hard copy and electronic notices.
- Establishement of a new fund account and assignment of an Index number in EOU’s financial system Banner FIS in which the PI can charge expenditures and view details and balances for the project.
- Works with the PI, department administrators and funding agency staff to manage the award fiscally and administratively throughout the project period.
- Preparation and filing of financial reports and submission of periodic billings according to award requirements.
- Monitoring of regulatory mandates and advisements to PI’s regarding change sin agency and federal regulations and University policies on grant administration.
- Liaison between PI and agency for administrative actions, including but not limited to no-cost extensions, budget revisions, grant transfers, and changes in key personnel.
- Reconcilliation of accoutn for final close-out and submission of final financial report and other final documents such as equipment disposition to sponsor.
Carrie Pollard - Grant Accountant
Eastern Oregon University
Inlow Hall, Room 208
One University Blvd.
La Grande, OR 97850
541-962-3856 / FAX: 541-962-3889
For additional budget assistance with your proposal, particularly with personnel and OPE costs, please contact the Director of Budget and Payroll, LeeAnn Case at 541-962-3515.
Eastern Oregon University
OUS Fiscal Policy Manual – Grant Accounting Policies (adopted by EOU effective July 1, 2015):
- 78.001 - Roles & Responsibilities – Research & Sponsored Programs
- 75.100 - Section 1512 Reporting Requirements – Roles and Responsibilities
- 5.01 - Grants and Contracts – General Administration
Office of Management and Budget:
Public Health Services (PHS/NIH)
Department of Education (DOE)
National Science Foundation (NSF)
For information regarding American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA), please see links below.
Fiscal Irregularities: Oregon University System Financial Concerns Hotline: For reporting fiscal concerns or irregularities. If you wish to report suspected fiscal irregularities to someone internally to EOU, please use the following contact information: Lon Whitaker, Vice President for Finance & Administration