Plan for MANDATORY International Student Orientation (ISO)
- Visit the ISO web page to learn all you need to know about orientation, Week of Welcome and your travel dates, so you can plan your trip accordingly. In the spring, prior to arrival, you will receive emails from EOU with instructions on the items you need to take care of prior to arrival in La Grande.
- Kickstart is a pre-orientation program for designed to help smooth the transition of international and Pacific Island students to college culture in the U.S.; provide non-native speakers time to practice their English speaking, listening, reading, and writing skills prior to the start of the academic year; familiarize new students with the region; and build the kinds of relationships with fellow students, faculty, staff, and community members critical to student success and retention. This program is tied to a HUM 111 Invitation to Rural Oregon course.
Arrange For Housing
- Complete your housing application on the ResLife webpage.
- All undergraduate International students in their first year of study in the United States are REQUIRED to live on campus their first year at EOU. Exceptions to this requirement must be requested by petition for new students.
- International Students are permitted to move into the residence halls Friday or Saturday prior to ISO beginning on Sunday at dinner. Students will be charged a nightly rate for each night prior to the Wednesday of Week of Welcome official move in day!
Submit Required Forms
- Access your Mountie Pass. See the Mountie Pass FAQ for more info.
- Scan and submit the EOU MMR Verification form to firstname.lastname@example.org prior to arrival. All EOU students are required to have 2 doses of measles vaccine (which is part of the MMR vaccine). Be sure to attach the documentation of 2 measles/MMR shots (vaccine record with dates and clinic name).
- Scan and submit the Health History form to email@example.com.
- Sign into your Webster to complete the New Revolving Credit & Financial Responsibility Agreement. All new students are asked to sign the agreement by logging in to Webster, click Student Services & Financial Aid, then Student Account, followed by New Revolving Credit & Financial Responsibility Agreement.
Manage your Required EOU Health Insurance
International students enrolled at Eastern Oregon University are required to purchase the International Student Health Insurance (Fall, Winter, Spring/Summer). Students are automatically enrolled in and billed for the EOU Student Health Insurance. Health insurance is a complicated topic that you will learn more about during ISO. Please get started by completing the following:
- Read the information provided on the Student Affairs, Student Health Insurance page.
- If you would like to submit a waiver, please pay extra attention to the information.
- Please note the insurance coverage start dates and end dates. If you plan to arrive in the US before insurance coverage begins, you may want to purchase additional coverage.
Student Accounts and Billing
To help you plan ahead, the Student Accounts office posts Payments and Due Dates for each term. You will not be billed for tuition and fees until after you arrive on campus and register for classes during ISO. International Students can make payments on the EOU Payment Portal.
PACK YOUR BAGS, LET’S GO!
Study in the States offers free government resources that explain the rules and regulations governing the international student process in the United States.
La Grande is in Northeastern Oregon. It is located approximately 4 hours from Portland, Oregon, 5 hours from Seattle, Washington, and 3 hours from Boise, Idaho. Many students fly into Portland (http://www.flypdx.com/PDX), Boise (http://www.iflyboise.com/) or Seattle (https://www.portseattle.org/Sea-Tac/Pages/default.aspx), and then take another plane to the regional airport in Pendleton, Oregon. It is approximately 1 hour away from La Grande. Boutique Air services the Pendleton Airport (https://www.boutiqueair.com/).
Another option is to take the bus to La Grande. Greyhound bus lines has service to La Grande (www.greyhound.com). The International Student Advisor can also meet you at the bus station in La Grande and drive you to campus or you can take the Shuttle to campus. Please note that the bus ride can be long with many stops.
- If you will need to be picked up at the La Grande Greyhound Bus Station or airport, you will need to complete the Arrival Notification Form.
- Please e-mail your travel itinerary, including your flight and bus information, to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as your arrangements are made. Beginning July 1, 2017, students will be charged an airport pick up fee. Fees are applied as follows: Pendleton Airport ($50), Tricities Airport in Pasco, WA ($100), or Boise Airport ($100).