Immigration Documents

Understanding important immigration documents is critical for maintaining your legal status as an international student at EOU!

F-1 Visa

Your U.S. F-1 visa in your passport is your approval to request entry to the United States and receive F-1 student status while here. Your visa is the only immigration document that is allowed to expire while you are here.  It does not indicate how long you may stay in the U.S.  You may remain in the United States as long as you are maintaining your immigration status.  However, if your visa has expired and you depart the United States, you will be required to obtain a new visa before re-entering the United States.

If you plan to travel outside the U.S., you should contact the International Student Services Office before you leave and plan to apply for a visa at a US Consulate while you are outside the United States before you return.

Form I-94

Students can access your I-94 record number here:

For more information and to see FAQ’s, visit the I94 Fact Sheet. (

Form I-20 Certificate of Eligibility for F-1 Students

This document is issued for you by EOU and proves your eligibility for F-1 status.  Accuracy is critical at all times.  Your current major and financial support information must be accurate and updated at all times.  You must retain all I-20s you are issued from all schools you attend for your records (even after you graduate), as you may need them in the future.


You must ensure your passport NEVER expires during your stay in the U.S.  You should renew your passport approximately six months prior to the expiration date.  Contact your embassy in the United States to renew your passport.