Transfer Student Requirements

The Oregon Higher Education Coordinating Commission (HECC) sets admission policies and enrollment limits.

Such policies are subject to change, therefore, students should consult with Admissions staff about current standards


All transfer student applicants must submit the following to the Office of Admissions:

  • Completed Application for Undergraduate Admission.
  • Official transcripts from each college or university attended.
    • Applicants must demonstrate a 2.25 GPA or better with a minimum of 30 transferable quarter credits (or 20 transferable semester credits) from accredited colleges or universities.
    • Transfer coursework must reflect successfully completing a minimum of two courses in the sciences, social sciences, or humanities.
  • Applicants with less than 72 quarter or 60 semester transferable college credit hours must also submit an official high school transcript if seeking federal financial aid.

Applicants with fewer than 30 transferable quarter credits must:

  1. Have a 2.25 GPA for all transferable credit
  2. Fulfill freshman admission procedures and requirements

(Freshman Admission Requirements)

Post-Baccalaureate Students

Students from the Federated States of Micronesia (FSM) Republic of Palau, Republic of the Marshall Islands

In addition to the above admissions requirements, students from the Federated States of Micronesia, Republic of Palau and Republic of the Marshall Islands are required to demonstrate English language proficiency by:

  • English proficiency as demonstrated by achieving 500 on the TOEFL, or 61 on the Internet-based TOEFL; a score of 5 on the IELTS, and satisfactory completion of level 112 in an English Language School.

Transfer Credits

Most of the credits you earn at other accredited four-year colleges or universities will transfer to EOU. Course work taken at a non-accredited institution may be evaluated.  Click here to see how credits may transfer to EOU.

Students with the following Associate degrees from accredited Oregon, Idaho or Washington state community colleges will be considered as having met the general education distribution requirements at EOU:

    • Associate of Arts-Oregon Transfer Degree (AAOT)
    • Associate of Science-Oregon Transfer Degree (ASOT)
    • Completion of an AA or AS from:
      • North Idaho College
      • College of Southern Idaho
      • College of Western Idaho
    • Completion of a Direct Transfer Agreement (DTA) as transcribed by a regionally accredited Washington Community College
    • Completion of an Associate of Arts Degree in Liberal Arts from Palau Community College, College of the Marshall Islands and College of Micronesia.
    • A certificate of CSUGE or IGETC from California

Foreign Transcript Evaluations

Transcripts from non-U.S. schools can for evaluation by a National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) accredited agency.

We recommend using World Education Services (WES) for these services.

  • High School transcripts require a document-by-document evaluation
  • College transcripts require a course-by-course evaluation

 Transcript Evaluation Decisions Upon Admission to EOU

Whether you are a newly admitted freshman or transferring to EOU with prior college coursework, the Admissions and Registrar’s Offices are committed to making every reasonable effort to ensure maximum credit is awarded toward degree completion based on your transcripts. It is important to realize that multiple factors can influence how your transcripts are evaluated, which include but may not be limited to - the accreditation status of the institution issuing the transcript, University policy regarding limits on credits applied toward degree, and faculty evaluation of transfer work. All transcript evaluation decisions are final and are not grievable. Students are encouraged to speak with their academic advisor regarding options that may help them obtain credit for coursework and other experiences not recognized during transcript evaluation. These options may include proficiency testing, Agency Sponsored Learning (ASL), and Assessment of Prior Experiential Learning (APEL). Students may find out who their advisor is by signing into Degree Works or visiting the Advising Center.

Find us on these social networks...

EOU on Instagram RSS Feed for EOU

Eastern Oregon University
One University Boulevard
La Grande, OR
or 541-962-3672

Copyright © 2016 
Eastern Oregon University