Eastern Oregon University > Title IX > Student Info for Reporting

Student Info for Reporting

Need to share and get the story to the right people? File anonymously and our professionals can address the situation.

Looking for information for immediate assistance? Visit our Get Help page!

If you have or know someone who has experienced an incident but you are not sure about it – connect with someone that can help.

You get to choose – it is your story
Under federal law and University policy, EOU is required to investigate all reports of interpersonal violence: sexual harassment, sexual assault, dating violence, domestic violence, and stalking that are brought to our attention. The extent of the investigation depends on the amount of information that is shared about the incident. You can also request changes to your academic, housing, transportation and working situations, at this time.



We believe it is the right of the victim of interpersonal violence to decide if they wish to report an incident, and how much information they wish to share about the incident.


Responsible Employees

Most faculty, staff and some students are required by University policy to report incidents of interpersonal violence of which they become aware. This first group is considered non-confidential and is categorized as a Responsible Employee. A University employee cannot guarantee complete confidentiality, but the individual can guarantee privacy. Information is disclosed only to select University personnel who have an essential need to know in order to carry out their University responsibilities. As is the case with any educational institution, the University must balance the needs of the individual student with its obligation to protect the safety and well-being of the community at large. Therefore, depending on the seriousness of the alleged incident, further action may be necessary, including a campus security alert. The alert, however, will never contain information identifying the student who brought the complaint.

Privileged Contacts>

Some staff are designated as Confidential Resources meaning they are not required under University policy or the law to divulge information about interpersonal violence. These employees are also referred to as Privileged contacts. Students who are uncertain about reporting their assault may find comfort in first meeting with a Confidential Resource to explore options available to them, and to receive information about campus and community supports.

At EOU, Confidential Resources include our Privileged Campus Advocate, professional counselors in the Counseling Center and medical providers in the Student Health Center. If you are uncertain whether an individual is a Confidential Resource, please ask them before sharing your story. You can always ask general questions without divulging your personal story.


Choose one or more of the following options:


    • Connect with a Privileged Campus Advocate, who is a confidential contact, to learn about options and services available to you. Campus Office at 541.962.3381 | 24/7 Hotline at 541.963.9261.
    • Police Report You can make a report with the La Grande Police Department at 541-963-1017.  Even if you do not want to pursue criminal charges at this time, you can always make a police report to have this information on file. Police reports are eventually accessible by Public Records Requests.
    • Campus Security Make a report to our Campus Security at 541.962.3911.
    • Title IX Coordinator File a report with the Title IX Coordinator and Director of Student Relations at 541.962.3476. If formal action not wanted, reports remain private and only shared with key University personnel unless the University must take action for reasons of safety.
  • File an Anonymous Report. Names are not required to report. This information is used for the purpose of statistical reporting when names are not provided.

We believe it is the right of the victim/survivor of interpersonal violence to decide if they wish to report an incident, and how much information they wish to share about the incident.


Contacting police does not mean you must pursue charges. The Police can advise you of your options and can also preserve evidence while you consider your options. They can also advise you on safety measures you can take to protect yourself. If you would like to talk to someone before reporting to the police, connect with our Privileged Campus Advocate to learn more.

Contact information for La Grande Police Department
La Grande Police Department
911 emergency
541-963-1017 non-emergency 

Yes! Students are strongly encouraged to report incidents of, or share information about, sexual misconduct as soon as possible. This is true even if the student with a complaint or a witness may have concern that his or her own alcohol or drug use, or other prohibited activity were involved. The Office of Student Relations will not pursue disciplinary charges against a victim with a complaint for improper use of alcohol or drugs if the victim is making a good faith report of sexual misconduct.

If a student is still unsure about reporting, connect with our Privileged Campus Advocate. Information shared with the Privileged Campus Advocate is shared only with consent.


No. Sexual misconduct, sexual assault, sexual harassment, stalking and other violations of the Student Code of Conduct include both on-campus and off-campus conduct. If you would like to read more on what else is covered, visit our Title IX About page.

To connect with someone that is professionally trained in sexual assault, sexual violence and stalking, visit our Campus Advocate page.


Seeking medical attention can help you in many ways.
First, seeking medical attention can help you take care of your own health by checking for injuries, treating those injuries, and addressing the possibility of sexually transmitted infections.
For more information about help you or your friend can receive. Visit our page dedicated to steps for getting help.


A forensic medical exam can preserve evidence of the assault. This is important, even if you are currently undecided about your next steps because you may later decide to pursue criminal charges or University disciplinary charges – that evidence can help in both situations. A medical exam is not required before pursuing criminal or University disciplinary charges. Initial medical exams are free for a person who has been sexually assaulted. These exams are usually completed by a trained Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE).

If you would like to learn more about a medical examination, connect with our Privileged Campus Advocate.


I am third person on a story
Having knowledge regarding another student or EOU employee in this situation, you should pass this information onto the Title IX Coordinator. It is important to provide support to a victim. Sometimes this person is ashamed by the incident and afraid of what may happen by reporting, such as retaliation. These steps are designed to help best support and assist with the person’s physical and emotional needs, while also protecting the EOU community.

I am not sure if this is a story to report
You do not have to determine IF you should report. The Title IX Coordinator is trained to hear your story and make a determination if it needs follow-up. The best thing to do is share the story so we can see if follow-up is necessary.

I am uncomfortable reporting in person, do I have options?
Absolutely! EOU provides several options to meet your comfort of sharing. If you are needing to talk to someone and remain confidential, connect with our Privileged Campus Advocate. If you prefer to remain anonymous, use our Anonymous Reporting Form.

Privileged Campus Advocate Contact Information
Advocate@eou.edu    tkshelter@eoni.com     541.962.3381    24/7 Hotline: 541.963.9261

File an Anonymous Report

We believe it is the right of the victim/survivor of interpersonal violence to decide if they wish to report an incident, and how much information they wish to share about the incident.


Believe what your friend shares with you.
Validate that they are not at fault and deserve care.
Support their choices.
Consider seeking support for yourself as you care for your friend. 


EOU has a legal obligation under Title IX to take action to keep you safe while attending school.


If you share a dormitory, class, or extracurricular activity with your abuser and would like them removed, EOU will take action to work with you to help you feel comfortable and safe. Options may include removing the abuser from the mutual shared space or assisting you in moving. You may also request your lock is changed, and removing your school address from the public online directory. Services like these are available without filing a formal complaint.

At your request, EOU can issue and enforce a no-contact order on campus. Some abusers will comply with no-contact orders out of fear of punishment while others may not. To learn more about your options, connect with our Privileged Campus Advocate.

Statement on retaliation

EOU prohibits retaliation against individuals who engage in reporting a complaint of sexual harassment, sexual misconduct, dating or domestic violence, and/or stalking. Retaliatory behavior is regarded as additional misconduct and may lead to increased sanctions.

Department of Labor Privacy and Security Statement