Diversity Excellence Mentoring Program
The Diversity Excellence Mentoring Program is an opportunity for first-year incoming students to enhance their collegiate experience by getting connected to resources that will ensure a successful transition to college life. The program provides new students with an opportunity to develop a unique relationship with fellow upperclassmen – a relationship that will serve to enrich their first year at EOU.
Student participants will receive services designed to assist them in achieving their academic goals, support personal growth as well as provide opportunities for social and professional development. A peer mentor will also be available to help provide personal support, assistance, social guidance, and positive campus survival skills to underrepresented first-year students to address social and personal support, which will contribute to their success and enhance EOU’s effort to recruit, retain and graduate students from diverse backgrounds.
BENEFITS FOR MENTEES
- Make students feel connected & confident.
- Provides role models.
- Someone who knows how to find the campus resources you need.
- Increases retention.
- Yields higher GPAs and success.
- Exposure to diverse perspectives and experiences.
- Someone to talk to about academic and/or personal issues.
- Someone who knows what it takes to be a successful student.
- Can help you begin to develop their career development plan.
BENEFITS FOR MENTORS
- Opportunity to develop organizational, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Develop leadership qualities.
- Reinforce your own study skills and knowledge of your subject(s), campus support and resources.
- Increase your confidence and motivation.
- Enhance your resume and/or CV.
- Gain recognition for your skills and experience.
- Gain a sense of value, fulfillment and personal growth by working as a role model for someone to ensure their success.