Leaving EOU



Please download the following forms to complete your campus clearance. You will need to obtain signatures from all the offices listed on the Campus Clearance Form and turn it in to Human Resources on your last day on campus. Completing the Exit Questionnaire is optional.

The following information explains the status of your employee benefits when you leave Eastern. Please contact the Payroll or Benefits office if you have questions.


Contact the payroll office to discuss your final pay check. Please provide your new address. Updated records will ensure that you receive your annual W-2 tax form in a timely manner.

Termination of Benefits

  • EOU Employees: If your final pay check will pay you for at least 80 hours in your last pay period, PEBB insurance coverage will continue through the end of the following month. If you receive pay for less than 80 hours, coverage will continue through the end of the month in which you terminated.

NOTE: Accrued leave time which is paid in a lump sum upon termination does not apply toward these rules.

Medical and Dental Insurance

You and your eligible dependents may elect to continue your group medical and dental insurance plans for up to 18 months by paying the monthly premium yourself (COBRA Continuation) if you meet the qualifications. Continuation periods may vary depending on the reason for your termination. BenefitHelpSolutions will mail a Continuation Election Notice to your last known home address. To elect coverage, follow the instructions on the Continuation Election Notice. Questions regarding COBRA eligibility, enrollment forms, or premiums may be directed to BenefitHelpSolutions at 1-800-822-3173. Another option available to you is to convert your group medical coverage to an individual medical plan. Application for conversation must be made directly to the insurance company within 31 days from the expiration date of your group coverage. This option is also available following completion of your continuation of group coverage. Contact your insurance company with any questions you may have.

Life Insurance

Standard Insurance: You may continue or “port” your optional employee life and spouse life coverage at the same premium rate. This portability option is not available to employees who terminate due to total disability or retirement. Employee life must be ported in order to port the spouse life policy. You must elect this option within 31 days of the date of termination. (Indicate your desire to port the insurance by marking the appropriate box on your Campus Clearance Form.) The $5,000 basic life coverage and the dependent life coverage may not be continued under the portability options. You may contact Standard Insurance to convert any of your life insurance coverages to an individual policy without evidence of insurability. Application must be made directly to Standard Insurance within 31 days of the dage coverage is lost. Telephone 1-800-521-8780. OPEU Life Insurance: You may convert your life insurance to an individual policy without evidence of insurability. For more information, contact OPEU at 1-800-452-2146.

Short and Long Term Disability, Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance

There are no conversation or continuation plans available.

Long Term Care

Employees have 31 days to notify UNUM of their request to convert the coverage. You can contact UNUM at 1-800-227-4165. The benefits and premium remain the same, but you will pay the premium directly to UNUM.

Dependent Care Account

Your final check will include your last Dependent Care Account deduction if there are sufficient funds to cover the election. Expenses may be incurred up to your termination date. Claims may be submitted for any dollars remaining in your account through the end of the grace period, same as for active employees.

Public Employees’ Retirement System (PERS)

The Benefits Office will notify PERS that you have terminated employment after final pay has been issued. For information about withdrawing your funds or for additional information, refer to the PERS website: http://oregon.gov/PERS/

Optional Retirement Plan (Unclassified Employees Only)

Contact your ORP company for information about the status of your account.

Tax-Deferred Investment Program

Contact your company representative to decide what you want to do with your TDI account.

Deferred Compensation

Contact the Oregon Savings Growth Plan Coordinator at (503) 378-3730 to make sure your Settlement Agreement shows how you want your funds distributed. Nationwide Insurance, Credit Union and other bank deductions: Make arrangements with these companies to make direct payments to them within 31 days of termination.


  • Classified Employees: If you are a classified employee who terminates after six months of state service, you will be paid for all unused vacation leave up to 250 hours.
  • Unclassified Employees: Twelve month unclassified employees may be paid for a maximum of 180 hours of unused vacation leave.

Personal Leave

  • Classified Employees: Upon leaving, classified employees are not entitled to be paid for unused personal leave. This leave is to be used prior to your last day of work. However, should you terminate before working 1,040 hours for the fiscal year (July 1 to June 30), the value of personal leave time which you have taken may be recovered from your final check.

Sick Leave

Because sick leave is provided to protect your income while employed, no payment is made for accumulated unused sick leave upon termination. Your sick leave balance will be reported to PERS for possible use in calculating your retirement benefits. Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to the development of a diverse multicultural community.