Eastern Oregon University > Coronavirus Information > Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

EOU is continually updating the FAQs as new guidance and information is shared from local, state, and federal health authorities.

Quick Links

Last updated March 31, 2020, at 10:37 p.m.


Are events being canceled on-campus?

Per guidance from the State of Oregon, all gatherings over 25 people will be canceled statewide effective March 16. It is additionally recommended the Oregonians avoid gatherings or 10 people or more. As a result of the State of Oregonโ€™s guidance, events on campus may need to be postponed or canceled until further notice. A full list of cancellations and schedule changes is posted here: eou.edu/coronavirus/event-cancellations-and-schedule-changes.

What about in-person meetings?

Meetings will be encouraged to be completed by phone or video conferencing. If that is not possible, all in-person meetings will be held in spaces where appropriate social distancing can occur (at least 6 feet apart). This means you may need to meet in another location on campus besides the staff or faculty memberโ€™s office.  

How far out are we canceling events at EOU? How should I proceed if I am hosting or coordinating an event that is several weeks or months out? 

We are canceling events about one month out. Events scheduled through the Events & Scheduling Office have been canceled through mid-April and will continue on a rolling schedule after that. 

What about campus visitors?

All buildings on campus are closed to the public. Please visit,  https://www.eou.edu/coronavirus/event-cancellations-and-schedule-changes/  for a list of canceled events. 

Should we continue to hold Colloquiums?

EOU Colloquiums are always live-streamed. These can be made available via remote access (Zoom) if presenters prefer. Presenters may choose to cancel.


What is the administration’s protocol for alerting the campus community in a shutdown scenario? 

We will continue to use Infoline and Student-Infoline to share important information and updates with the university community. We will use the EOU Alert for any emergency notifications. We will communicate as quickly as possible in the event of any change to the status of campus.  

Would there be access to Banner if working from home?

The IT Department will automatically create OpenVPN access for all users with permissions to Banner and Millennium FAST in the event campus has to be closed and users need to work from home.

How are employees to be compensated in case of full or partial closures?

Please download the Summary Table of COVID-19 Public Health Emergency Employee Work Duties and Pay. This table provides information on how employees should be compensated in various scenarios related to the COVID-19 pandemic.

What happens if I get sick?

Please follow all guidelines recommended by the Oregon Health Authority.

Please download the Summary Table of COVID-19 Public Health Emergency Employee Work Duties and Pay. This table provides information on how employees should be compensated in various scenarios related to the COVID-19 pandemic.

๐ˆ๐ฌ ๐ญ๐ก๐ข๐ฌ ๐ฆ๐š๐ซ๐ญ๐ข๐š๐ฅ ๐ฅ๐š๐ฐ?

No, not even close. There are no curfews and citizen movements are not restricted under the Governorโ€™s Executive Order. While details are offered in the order relating to social distancing, specific business closures and non-essential social gatherings- citizen movements are generally unrestricted.

๐ƒ๐จ ๐ˆ ๐ง๐ž๐ž๐ ๐๐จ๐œ๐ฎ๐ฆ๐ž๐ง๐ญ๐š๐ญ๐ข๐จ๐ง ๐Ÿ๐ซ๐จ๐ฆ ๐ฆ๐ฒ ๐ž๐ฆ๐ฉ๐ฅ๐จ๐ฒ๐ž๐ซ ๐๐ž๐ž๐ฆ๐ข๐ง๐  ๐ฆ๐ž ๐ž๐ฌ๐ฌ๐ž๐ง๐ญ๐ข๐š๐ฅ?

No. The Governorโ€™s Executive Order closes certain businesses, outlined in section (2). These businesses reflect operations that would make close contact difficult or impossible due to the nature of the business. Officers are not asking or looking for any type of special paperwork from your employer.

๐ƒ๐จ ๐ˆ ๐ง๐ž๐ž๐ ๐š ๐ฌ๐ฉ๐ž๐œ๐ข๐š๐ฅ ๐ฉ๐ฅ๐š๐œ๐š๐ซ๐ ๐จ๐ง ๐ฆ๐ฒ ๐œ๐š๐ซ, ๐ฐ๐ก๐ž๐ง ๐ ๐จ๐ข๐ง๐  ๐ญ๐จ ๐ฐ๐จ๐ซ๐ค ๐จ๐ซ ๐ข๐Ÿ ๐ˆ ๐๐ซ๐ข๐ฏ๐ž ๐Ÿ๐จ๐ซ ๐ฐ๐จ๐ซ๐ค?

No. There is no special documentation or placards for citizens going to work or permitted activities.

๐–๐ข๐ฅ๐ฅ ๐ˆ ๐›๐ž ๐ฉ๐ฎ๐ฅ๐ฅ๐ž๐ ๐จ๐ฏ๐ž๐ซ ๐Ÿ๐จ๐ซ ๐๐ซ๐ข๐ฏ๐ข๐ง๐  ๐จ๐ง ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐ก๐ข๐ ๐ก๐ฐ๐š๐ฒ?

Not for violation of the Governorโ€™s Executive Order, which specifically outlines efforts to avoid large gatherings- not restrict the movement of citizens. If, however, you are committing a traffic violation or crime that would be enforced independent of the order, you may be stopped, like any other day.

๐€๐ซ๐ž ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐ฌ๐ญ๐š๐ญ๐ž ๐ฅ๐ข๐ง๐ž๐ฌ ๐œ๐ฅ๐จ๐ฌ๐ž๐ ๐š๐ง๐ ๐š๐ซ๐ž ๐ญ๐ก๐ž๐ซ๐ž ๐ซ๐จ๐š๐๐›๐ฅ๐จ๐œ๐ค๐ฌ?

No, traffic is moving freely within Oregon and our border states. There are no roadblocks or restrictions on vehicle movement. Washington State is operating under a similar executive order from their Governor, so Oregonians should be aware of these provisions when traveling in their state.

๐ˆ๐Ÿ ๐ฆ๐ฒ ๐›๐ฎ๐ฌ๐ข๐ง๐ž๐ฌ๐ฌ ๐ข๐ฌ ๐œ๐ฅ๐จ๐ฌ๐ž๐, ๐œ๐š๐ง ๐ˆ ๐ฌ๐ญ๐ข๐ฅ๐ฅ ๐ ๐จ ๐ญ๐จ ๐ฐ๐จ๐ซ๐ค ๐ข๐Ÿ ๐ฆ๐ฒ ๐ž๐ฆ๐ฉ๐ฅ๐จ๐ฒ๐ž๐ซ ๐ฆ๐š๐ค๐ž๐ฌ ๐ฆ๐ž? ๐–๐จ๐งโ€™๐ญ ๐ˆ ๐›๐ž ๐š๐ซ๐ซ๐ž๐ฌ๐ญ๐ž๐?

While the order prohibits the public from congregating at a closed business, the employer may still have work to do on-site. As long as employees are not conducting business that is prohibited by the Executive Order, it is okay to still be at the worksite. No โ€œpassesโ€ or paperwork is required.

๐€๐ซ๐ž ๐ซ๐ž๐ฌ๐ญ ๐š๐ซ๐ž๐š๐ฌ ๐จ๐ฉ๐ž๐ง?


๐€๐ซ๐ž ๐ฉ๐จ๐ฅ๐ข๐œ๐ž ๐š๐ซ๐ซ๐ž๐ฌ๐ญ๐ข๐ง๐  ๐จ๐ซ ๐ญ๐ข๐œ๐ค๐ž๐ญ๐ข๐ง๐  ๐ฉ๐ž๐จ๐ฉ๐ฅ๐ž ๐ข๐ง ๐ฉ๐ฎ๐›๐ฅ๐ข๐œ ๐จ๐ซ ๐ข๐ง ๐ฏ๐ข๐จ๐ฅ๐š๐ญ๐ข๐จ๐ง ๐จ๐Ÿ ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐†๐จ๐ฏ๐ž๐ซ๐ง๐จ๐ซโ€™๐ฌ ๐„๐ฑ๐ž๐œ๐ฎ๐ญ๐ข๐ฏ๐ž ๐Ž๐ซ๐๐ž๐ซ?

Citizens that violate the Governorโ€™s Order in an Emergency Declaration could be arrested or cited, which is a C Misdemeanor- the lowest level of criminal conduct designation. All Oregon law enforcement is united on the premise that police action is extremely undesirable, and we hope to educate citizens if congregating in violation of the Governorโ€™s Order. Citation or arrest would be an extreme last resort if a citizen failed to comply with the lawful direction of a police officer.

๐–๐ก๐š๐ญ ๐š๐›๐จ๐ฎ๐ญ ๐ฆ๐ฒ ๐ค๐ข๐๐ฌ ๐ญ๐ก๐š๐ญ ๐ฆ๐ฒ ๐œ๐จ๐ง๐ ๐ซ๐ž๐ ๐š๐ญ๐ž ๐ข๐ง ๐š ๐ฉ๐ฅ๐š๐œ๐ž ๐ฐ๐ข๐ญ๐ก๐จ๐ฎ๐ญ ๐ฆ๐ฒ ๐ฉ๐ž๐ซ๐ฆ๐ข๐ฌ๐ฌ๐ข๐จ๐ง, ๐ฅ๐ข๐ค๐ž ๐š ๐ฌ๐ค๐š๐ญ๐ž ๐ฉ๐š๐ซ๐ค?

Police know our children donโ€™t often take their parentโ€™s advice and may ignore direction when away. Like adults found to be congregating in a location, officers will likely approach the youths and educate them on the order. Citations and arrests are extremely unlikely, reserved for only the most extreme circumstances.

If employees have other questions regarding work status, please contact Human Resources at 541-962-3548 or hr@eou.edu.


If on-campus courses moved to online, would on-campus students retain on-campus tuition rates?

Yes, students will retain on-campus rates.

If a student decides to stop attending (or becomes ill and must stop attending), how will tuition reimbursement, incomplete grades/extensions, etc., policies respond to these scenarios?

Financial aid will be determined on a case-by-case basis with each studentโ€™s individual situation.  The Department of Education has released guidance that permits institutions to move their academic instruction online, should the need arise. 

All accredited agencies have been encouraged to support online instruction in the event of university closure. Every effort will be made to be as lenient as possible in regard to tuition penalties, as the institution has the ability to make tuition penalty decisions, based on our own policies and procedures.

What is the impact on GI Bill recipients?

If a school temporarily closes due to an established policy based on an Executive Order of the President or due to an emergency situation, VA may continue benefit payments (including the Monthly Housing Allowance under the Post-9/11 GI Bill) for up to 4 weeks during a 12-month period. This authority, and limitation, are codified in statute (38 U.S.C. ยง 3680(a)(2)(A).

If the school remains open (virtually, rather than physically), and students are transitioned to pursuit solely through online classes, then benefit payments will be impacted as follows:

If the switch from training in-residence to online classes occurs during the term, and the program has been approved by the State Approving Agency for delivery through an online modality, then benefit payments (including the Monthly Housing Allowance under the Post-9/11 GI Bill) will remain unchanged for the remainder of that term.

However, for any subsequent terms pursued solely online, the Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA) under the Post-9/11 GI Bill will be reduced to one-half of the national average of DoDโ€™s Basic Allowance for Housing rates for an E-5 with dependents.  The limitations on MHA rates are codified in statute (38 U.S.C. ยง 3313(c)(1)(B)(iii).

Lastly, if the program has not been approved by the State Approving Agency for delivery through an online modality, benefit payments will completely stop (including the Monthly Housing Allowance under the Post-9/11 GI Bill) when students begin training online.


What if I am a student and  I feel sick?

If you are ill with fever, cough, sore throat or shortness of breath, please stay home and call the Student Health Center at 541-962-3524 or your primary care provider to help determine the most appropriate care. Refrain from visiting clinics, the emergency room or urgent care, without calling first, to avoid spreading any virus.  If you or someone you know has severe symptoms such as difficulty breathing, persistent pain or pressure in the chest, confusion or bluish discoloration to the lips or face, seek emergency care.

How can I help slow the spread of COVID-19?

COVID-19 is likely transmitted in a manner similar to other respiratory viruses, so follow the same guidelines you would follow to prevent the spread of influenza such as covering your cough, staying at least 6 feet away from others, frequently washing your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, not sharing cups or utensils, and avoid touching your face.

Regardless of what type of upper respiratory infection you may have, you are likely contagious from right before your symptoms start until at least 72 hours after your symptoms have resolved, so it is best to avoid close contact with others during this entire time period.

With COVID-19, symptoms appear on average within 5 days of exposure to the virus but the range is 2-14 days after exposure to the virus, so the best thing we can all do to prevent the spread of infection is to stay home and at least 6 feet away from other people while ill.  

Who is at risk of getting ill?

People who are immunocompromised are more at risk for complications from this virus. Some of these underlying medical conditions that place people at a higher risk for complications are heart, lung and kidney disease, diabetes, and autoimmune conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis, and lupus. People undergoing cancer treatment and people who take immunosuppressant medications daily, such as steroids or daily steroid inhalers for emphysema or asthma, are also at a higher risk for complications. The risks for complications related to COVID-19 are higher for people over 60 and people with underlying medical conditions.    

What if I just have mild symptoms?

Many young, healthy people may only have minor symptoms similar to a cold. Thus, if you have only mild symptoms of a cold that you would not normally go to a clinic for, then the best course of action is to stay home, away from others, rest and drink plenty of fluids.  

For sore throat and cough, throat lozenges or cough drops, and warm tea with honey is very soothing.  For fever, you can take 600-800 mg of Ibuprofen every 8 hours and can alternate this with 1000 mg of Tylenol every 8 hours.  

The following link has some helpful advice from the CDC on what to do if you are sick.  cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/steps-when-sick.html.

What if I feel really worried and want to talk to a mental health counselor about my concerns?

If you have paid the Health Service Fee and are interested in utilizing services at the Counseling Center, please call 541-962-3524 and request a counseling appointment. A counselor will get back to you regarding available appointment times. All counseling appointments will be conducted via some telehealth modality (e.g. phone, Zoom).

The Counseling Center is closed during the evenings, weekends and Spring Break (March 23-27, 2020). If you have an after-hours emergency, please call  911 or the Center For Human Development (CHD) at 541-962-8800.

Iโ€™m young and healthy, and I think COVID-19 is unlikely to make me very sick.  Isnโ€™t all this overblown?

Those people who experience only mild forms of the disease can pose a particular risk to other people, such as grandparents, neighbors, teachers, community members and others for whom the disease may take a much more dangerous form. 

Since the disease has an incubation period of up to 14 days, you may never know who may have been badly sickened by your mild โ€œcold.โ€ By consciously avoiding situations where you may get exposed, and treating even mild illness as if it were COVID-19, you may save the lives of people you will never know — or people who are very close to you. This is a time to be thoughtful of how our casual actions may affect the welfare of the community as a whole.

What type of cleaning/sanitization procedures is EOU doing for on-campus locations and spaces?

EOU is using appropriate CDC-approved disinfectant to clean campus, focusing on common and highly utilized spaces. 

When will the universityโ€™s bulk buy of disinfecting supplies arrive on campus, and how will it be distributed? 

Some have already arrived and are being distributed currently. As more items arrive, those will be distributed as quickly as possible.   


I currently live in the residence halls, if I leave to go home for the spring term can I be released from my contract?

The 2019/2020 Room and Dining Contract is an annual contract that ends June 12, 2020. If students wish to request a contract modification they may do so at the Office of Residence Life and Housing Operations. 

Contract modifications are considered on a case-by-case basis. Students should identify a preferred outcome of the contact modification request prior to submitting one.

How are dining schedules impacted? 

The Mountie Cafe will maintain its regularly scheduled service hours and days. The last meal for Winter Term will be dinner on Thursday, March 19. The first meal of Spring Term will be dinner on Sunday, March 29. 

Macโ€™s Grill is closed for the remainder of the Winter Term and Spring Break.

Students who are self-isolating in the Residence Halls over spring break may request meal service by contacting 541-962-3037.   

How is social distancing being practiced in on-campus dining areas? 

Chairs have been set up in both Mountie Cafe and the Hoke Community Room to accommodate social distancing and a minimum of three feet between individuals. We encourage students to please not move chairs and follow social distancing. 

The salad bar and other popular items have been moved back behind the line to be served by Sodexo Staff. Menu choices will be scaled back so that most items are served by staff. 

What measures are being taken to kill the virus on surfaces in the dining area?

Sodexo has increased sanitary practices and asks that students wash their hands and practice social distancing. 

A three-part cleaning process has been instituted for all surfaces, using soapy water to clean debris, followed with sanitizer, and finished with disinfectant. We have been assured that this procedure would kill any lingering COVID-19 on surfaces.

Two stations have been put in at the entrance of Mountie Cafe and students or other guests are required to sanitize them before they enter Mountie Cafe. 

Silverware has been switched to โ€œkitsโ€ that include a fork, knife, spoon, salt, pepper and napkin. 

Is my residence hall remaining open, or do I have to leave campus? Can I stay for spring break?

Residence halls will remain open during spring break and spring term, even while the campus is using remote-access classes and social distancing in response to COVID-19. Limited dining service is provided during spring break and will be delivered to student suites. Mountie Cafe will open for spring term.

All campus residents who wish to stay for spring break must sign up for break housing via Spring Break Sign Up. The application to stay over spring break closes at 2 p.m. on March 20.

I’m a first-year student. Can I be exempted from the live-on requirement?

Due to the unprecedented circumstances related to the COVID-19 pandemic, enforcement of the First-Year Experience Live-On Requirement for first-year students not otherwise eligible for an exemption will be suspended for spring term 2020.

Enforcement of this requirement will resume for incoming fall 2020 students unless otherwise communicated.

Are you waiving the housing cancellation fees for spring term?

Given the extenuating circumstances surrounding the COVID-19 outbreak, for residents who elect to move out for spring term 2020, EOU will not enforce many of its cancellation policies listed in the room and dining contract. 

Residents will be charged only for the spring term 2020 days they are in occupancy in their space, as defined by having possession of the key to their room. If residents end their room and dining contract early for spring term 2020, they will be prorated for the remaining days in the term.

If residents did not move out before spring break but wish to move out when spring term begins on March 29, they will only be charged for the days they occupy the room and maintain keys for the space.

What if I decide to move out, but I canโ€™t get my stuff due to travel restrictions, quarantine, etc.?

Please contact our office by emailing reslife@eou.edu so we can discuss your options to get your personal items and cancel your contract.

How can I be safe in a residence hall with so many students given Gov. Kate Brownโ€™s current ban on in-person gatherings?

Informed by Gov. Brownโ€™s directive, EOU established a prohibition on university-sponsored or sanctioned events of more than 25 people. However, social distancing should be considered a shared responsibility. We continue to encourage our students and staff to maintain a six-foot distance from others, including friends, coworkers and classmates.

For residents, this includes keeping a safe distance when studying in the library, eating in a Mountie Cafe or spending time in a residence hall lounge.

EOU Housing is doing its part by reducing furniture in hall lounges and creating further separation between tables in Mountie Cafe. Social programs and activities are being restructured to be accessed remotely or for smaller groups.  

What if Iโ€™m feeling sick?

If you are not well, remain in your residence hall and contact your primary care physician, Student Health and Wellness Services, or a local emergency medical care provider.

What if I think Iโ€™m exposed but not yet sick?  Should I tell everyone in my room or floor?

Please remain mindful of social distancing and if you develop symptoms contact the Office of Residence Life and Housing Operations.

If someone is sick in my hall, what will be the procedure for isolating them?

If someone living in one of our halls is diagnosed with this virus, EOU will work closely with Union County Health on our response protocol. Residence Life has identified spaces that can be set aside for students to move into should the need for self-isolation arise.  

Any health information that impacts the larger community will be communicated broadly and appropriately.

Can I change rooms during this time?

Students wanting to move rooms due to concerns related to the virus can use our Room Change Request. All student requests will be reviewed and students will be assigned to a new space, as space is available.

My roommate is sick and I donโ€™t want to be around them. What do I do?

Please talk to your Area Coordinator and access the room change form to move rooms. You can also contact the hall staff member on duty on your hallโ€™s duty phone.

If I decide to cancel my housing and dining contract, what is the process?

While we encourage our residents to return for spring term, we want each resident to make the best decision for them. A resident interested in learning more about the cancellation process can contact the Office of Residence Life


What does the Center for Disease Control (CDC) say about public health crises, stigmas, impacts and resilience?

The CDC has some great resources on public health outbreaks and stigmas to refer to when fears and anxieties occur. You can find the information at cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/related-stigma.html.

What if I experienced or observed someone creating an unsafe or harmful situation due to COVID-19 stigma or xenophobia?

Unfortunately, the Coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19) outbreak has and can bring about xenophobia  (prejudice against people from other countries). While COVID-19 originated in a city in China, race is not the carrier, and EOU does not condone acts of exclusion, harassment, hate speech and lack of sensitivity. Such actions impair our abilities to work together as a community at this crucial time. 

If you experience or witness racism and/or bias incidents please contact one of the following campus resources:

Title IX Coordinator and Director of Student Relations Colleen Dunne-Cascio: 541-962-3476 or  titleix@eou.edu

Deputy Title IX Coordinator Chris McLaughlin (Human Resources): 541-962-3516 or cjmclaughlin@eou.edu

Deputy Title IX Coordinator Kaki Morehead (Athletics): 541-962-3687 or kmclean@eou.edu

Deputy Title IX Coordinator Doug Robinett (Residence Life): 541-962-3442 or drobinett@eou.edu

Director of Student Diversity and Inclusion Bennie Moses-Mesubed: 541-962-3094 or bmoses@eou.edu 


How are spring term classes impacted? 

Spring term classes will be offered as scheduled. We will deliver classes remotely.

What does โ€œremote accessโ€ mean, exactly? How is that different from โ€œonlineโ€? 

โ€œRemote Accessโ€ defines courses coded as โ€œon campusโ€ or โ€œon-siteโ€ that are temporarily being offered at a distance during spring term. Teaching may be done asynchronously or synchronously through Zoom or appropriate software for the duration of remote access status.

โ€œOnlineโ€ classes have been planned and coded as โ€œonline.โ€

Would spring term extend into summer if EOU had to delay more than a week?


Will EOU shut down if someone in the campus community tests positive for COVID-19? 

We will follow the recommendations from CDC and OHA to make this decision. Right now, OHA is advising against closing.

If the University is closed, could face-to-face classes/instructors meet at another venue?

No. If campus closes, we do not recommend that classes meet off-campus.

What tools exist to support faculty/instructors to move quickly to an online learning environment? 

Senior Instructional Designer David Bentz (dbentz@eou.edu) is holding workshops. Contact him directly for assistance. EOU has purchased enough Zoom licenses for all of our teaching faculty. 

What tools and technologies exist to help me during spring term?

EOU has been working hard to compile technology resources for spring term students. Click here to learn more about technology resources for students.

What are the recommendations for advising in spring term?

Advisors should manage communication with students electronically or by email, phone and/or text.

How is Commencement impacted?

The Commencement Committee will continue with planning as scheduled.ย 

Is the spring 2020 commencement ceremony canceled?

No. EOU plans to finalize its plans for Commencement by May 1. Graduation is a very special time and a meaningful milestone in our students’ education and we want to celebrate that accomplishment. We are evaluating how we adapt our ceremony if social distancing measures are still in place at that time or how best to hold a virtual commencement. Hopefully, the measures we are taking now will curb the spread of COVID-19 and we can have commencement together on campus. Regardless of how commencement is held, we do want to make sure our graduates are recognized and there is an opportunity to celebrate their success as a community. 


What if Iโ€™m too sick to participate in classes?

If students are too ill to participate in on-campus classes, contact the Student Health Center at 541-962-3524 and also notify your instructors.

Also, please note that the Student Health Center is closed during the weekends and will be closed for medical appointments during Spring Break (March 23-27). If you have urgent medical needs when the Student Health Center is closed, the Grande Ronde Regional Medical Centerโ€™s walk-in clinic can be reached at 541-663-2300; the Clinic is open every day of the week. For more serious health issues, call 911.

If I am asked to follow CDC recommended guidelines to stay home for 14 days, what will that mean for my coursework?

The health of our students and our community is of the foremost importance. Students who must miss class due to illness should email their professors. Students who miss more than three days of class can contact the Office of Student Relations to request a Faculty Notification be sent to their instructors notifying them of their current situation. Students may contact the Office of Student Relations at 541-962-3476 or via email at saffairs@eou.edu.

My spring term classes are being taught remotely. I have concerns about my ability to be successful. Who should I contact to see what kinds of accommodations or supports are available?  

Please contact:

Director of Student Relations Colleen Dunne-Cascio: 541-962-3476 or ccascio@eou.edu

Director of Disability Services Pat Arnson: 541-962-3081 or parnson@eou.edu

I have limited access to the internet and/or a computer. What resources are available to me?  

The computer labs across campus will remain open and available. The labs will be reconfigured to create appropriate social distancing. Facilities will increase the number and depth of cleaning and sanitization of the lab space and computers.  


Will student workers be paid during closure days? 

Student-workers are to contact their respective supervisor and follow the paid leave options for all normally scheduled work hours missed due to the coronavirus pandemic. Contact your supervisor if you are facing hardship because of a lack of work. EOU is continuing to brainstorm on how students can be helped in the event that their campus employment is jeopardized.

I am an on-campus work-study student, how does this impact my job?

EOU intends to connect with work-study students to keep them working even if their current position has limited or no hours available. During this time, you may work in another area that has additional hours available.  Please contact your supervisor to discuss spring term work hours.


What if I am traveling outside of the United States? 

For the next few weeks, we recommend against unnecessary travel, whether international or within the United States. As you prepare for Spring Break, please keep in mind the rapidly changing situation to the coronavirus outbreak in the United States and how that may affect your travels. 

The Office of International Student Services is currently discouraging international travel in light of COVID-19, especially travel to and from high-risk countries as determined by the Center for Disease Control (Level 3 or Level 4 alerts), and travel via cruise ship. 

If you must travel, below are reliable travel advisories and restrictions published by various U.S. agencies. Please also be prepared to be flexible regarding your travel plans. You may be required to self-isolate or be quarantined upon your return to campus, depending upon public health concerns regarding your travel destination at the time of your return.

What if I am returning to the United States?

If you are returning to the U.S., please keep in mind that you may be subject to a two-week quarantine, self-monitoring or testing depending on COVID-19 activity at your destination.

Please consider notifying the Office of International Student Services so that we can contact you with specific travel-related information should that need arise. 

If you are traveling outside the United States during Spring Break, please double-check that you have a valid travel endorsement signature on your I-20 (the signature is valid for 12 months or until the program completion date on your I-20). If you need your I-20 signed for international travel, please set up an appointment to obtain one.