Psi Chi: The National Honor Society for Psychology
Reasons to Join Psi Chi at Eastern:
- Psi Chi provides national recognition for academic excellence in psychology, an honor which can be noted on employment applications, vitae, and resumes.
- Through membership in Psi Chi, students gain a sense of community with others in psychology and an identification with the discipline.
- Psi Chi provides a local, regional, and national forum for obtaining information and developing perspectives about the field of psychology, learning about educational and career opportunities, and forming meaningful professional networks.
- The local level, chapter membership facilitates leadership development, interaction with other students who have similar interests, and service to the department and institution sponsoring Psi Chi.
- Members receive a membership card and certificate and, through chapter mailings, copies of the Psi Chi newsletter. (Following graduation, members may subscribe to the quarterly newsletter.)
- Psi Chi chapter activities provide students with valuable opportunities to develop one-on-one relationships with professors who can stimulate their interest in psychology, involve them in research projects, and write meaningful letters of recommendation for them.
- Psi Chi encourages student research at the regional and national as well as local levels through undergraduate and graduate research award competitions and provides opportunities for students to present research and receive certificates recognizing their accomplishments at regional and national psychological association meetings.
- Our opportunities for teaching and research assistantships are often offered to Psi Chi students before other students.
- Psi Chi sponsors outstanding programs at regional and national psychological association meetings. Members benefit not only from the programs, but also from the opportunity to meet leading psychologists and students from other chapters.
- Membership in Psi Chi meets one of the requirements for entrance at the GS-7 level in numerous professional and technical occupations in the United States government.
- Membership is for life. The national registration fee of $55 is the only payment ever made to the national organization, which does not charge dues.
- Complete the psychology core (300 level requirements)
- Maintain a minimum Eastern GPA of at least 3.3 and a psychology GPA of at least 3.5
- Students meeting these requirements are invited by the faculty to join Psi Chi
- Complete an application and submitt $45.00 to the National Psi Chi organization
- All members join us for a celebration late in spring term to recognize new members
If you are interested in joining Psi Chi, speak with Dr. Ettinger, Eastern’s Psi Chi Advisor.Share: