Self-Love for the Month of Love
February comes from the Latin word “Februa,” which means “to cleanse.” This symbolizes new blessings and beginnings. The month’s birthstone is the amethyst, which represents courage, and strengthening relationships.
February is considered the month of love because of Valentine’s Day, a nationally recognized holiday. It is not just about romance and sweethearts; instead, it can also be a month for self-care, self-love, and fostering relationships with family, friends, and caring for others in your life.
February emphasizes the importance of love in our lives, including yourself. Self-care is often underrated and underappreciated. It is the awareness of your mind, body, and spirit. Showing love for yourself and appreciating how far you have come is important for your wellbeing. It is a good way to take a break from the chaos in your life and recharge. Self-care is essential when it comes to managing stress and living a healthy and happy life mentally and emotionally. According to a study done by Southern New Hampshire University, “Over time it is proven to significantly increase your health and overall wellness. It is clinically proven to reduce heart disease, stroke, and cancer.”
Other benefits of self-care:
- Helps build resilience
- Helps recognize emotional responses
- Boosts your immune system
- Improves your self-compassion
- Increases the ability to give more to others
- Makes you more productive
How to practice self-care:
- Sleep – rest your mind and body
- Meditate – breathe deeply and find peace in your surroundings
- Create – cook or bake, draw, journal, read; do something you love
- Focus on something you are grateful for
- Read affirmations aloud to yourself
- Move – get out into nature, stretch, do yoga, go for a walk
Remember, self-care is all about YOU. What works for someone else may not work for you, and that is okay. Find what brings you peace and joy, and do that. This is a reminder that you are loved, you have accomplished so much, and someone is proud of you. Take a moment to reflect, and love yourself a little extra this month.
For more information on self-care, visit the following links.