My.EOU Portal Current Students Faculty/Staff
The Office of University Advancement assists in the preparation and dissemination of news releases that contribute toward the overall visibility and achievement of the institution. University information follows a stated policy of writing and releasing designed to establish a balanced, representative perspective for Eastern Oregon University. It is essential that members of the press have confidence in the Vice President for University Advancement. With the full cooperation of administrators, faculty, staff and students, this will be possible. By approval of and adherence to the above stated guidelines, the best interests of Eastern Oregon University and its administrators, faculty, staff and students will be served.
1. The Office of University Advancement will be charged with the responsibility to inform the media of activities, events and accomplishments at Eastern Oregon University. To increase awareness of the University’s strengths and qualities to external publics, the Vice President for University Advancement will have responsibility and authority to serve as spokesperson and representative with the media in presenting the university’s position on general issues as well as specific issues in times of crisis or change.
2. All news releases intended for off-campus or external audiences are to be channeled through the Office of University Advancement. News releases may include but are not limited to announcements, accomplishments, general information, events, feature stories, crisis communication or publicity regarding EOU, its Schools, programs, disciplines, or individual employees. The determination of what is newsworthy, and/or representative material, rests with the Office of University Advancement acting in the best interest of Eastern Oregon University.
3. When detailed information is requested by the media regarding a topic of serious concern to the university, the President has the authority to serve as or appoint the spokesperson. In such instances, the Vice President of University Advancement will be involved in developing an agreed upon strategy for handling the media or providing statements to the press. Appropriate administrators, faculty and staff will be informed of the strategy or statement and the University’s Crisis Communication Plan will be utilized.
4. In a cooperative effort, administrators, faculty and staff will keep the Vice President of University Advancement informed of activities, events and issues in their schools and departments that may or should attract or has already attracted media attention. University Advancement will work with the appropriate administrators to best handle each situation and disseminate news and publicity of activities, when appropriate, to the University’s publics, both internally and externally.
5. In this same effort, University Advancement will periodically meet with and regularly contact deans and faculty groups as well as administrative directors and vice presidents to remain aware of campus activities and programs. Appropriate publicity and media relations can, therefore, be provided.
6. University Advancement will arrange media interviews with persons on campus when requested. If administrators, faculty or staff members are contacted directly by the media, please contact University Advancement as soon as possible before or after the interview or contact. If the media requests information over the telephone, it may be given, providing it does not deal with an issue of serious concern to the university. Again, University Advancement should be informed. The appropriate vice president or dean will be notified by University Advancement regarding media coverage of their area and/or faculty.
7. Generally, it is the policy of Eastern Oregon University not to release stories concerning faculty/staff resignations except as directed by the President. The responsibility for releasing resignation material, or material where EOU employees have been hired by another institution, agency, or business rest with the hiring organization.
The intention of this policy is to encourage and assist in developing quality contacts with the media. It is our obvious goals to obtain the maximum visibility for the University. These guidelines are not intended to infringe the individual’s freedom of speech or freedom of the press.
Give to theEOU Foundation
One University Boulevard
Inlow Hall, Suite 212
La Grande, OR 97850