Assault Reporting

What will happen if…

I report my sexual assault to the Director of Student Relations?

If you file a code of conduct complaint with the Director of Student Relations, the perpetrators will likely go through the university’s judiciary proceeding. They will have the choice to face a student judiciary board or a conduct officer. You will play a role in these proceedings, but you do not have to face your perpetrator(s) if you choose not to. You have the right to have an advocate with you, to assist you through the whole procedure and to explain what you might experience during this process. Student affairs will ask you to write a statement about what occurred in the situation, and you can have your advocate assist you in writing this most appropriately. You will be a part of the hearing and the student board or code of conduct officer(s) will ask you to share your side of the story. Again, the perpetrators do not have to be present if you do not want them to. After the judicial procedure, the hearings officers will come to some conclusions about the perpetrator(s)’ level of responsibility and, if they are found responsible, disciplinary sanctions will take place.

If you would like more information, you can learn more at any time from the Director of Student Relations. Even if you are not sure that you want to proceed with a code of conduct complaint, you can still explore your options with a number of individuals who want to help you make the right choice for yourself. It is important that you do not share the names of the perpetrators with the Director of Student Relations until you are sure you want to move forward with proceedings. If these individuals learn the names of the students who sexually assaulted you, they may have to move forward with the proceedings even if you are not ready to do to.

  • Contact the Director of Student Relations at 541-962-3635

I report my sexual assault to the police?

The police will likely ask you to share your story with them, so that they can make a police report and share it with the District Attorney. You can meet with the DA to ask any questions that you may have. The DA will decide if the crime is prosecutable or you might be asked to speak to a grand jury about your story. Speaking to a grand jury involves having a conversation with a small group of individuals, which will be lead my the District Attorney. After you share your story, they may ask you a few questions and then they will decide if they believe a crime or crimes have been committed. If this happens, legal proceedings may move forward.

You can receive more information about this procedure from the Victim’s Assistance program in the District Attorneys office. The individuals in this office can answer any questions you might have.

  • Contact Victim’s Assistance at: 541-963-1007