“It’s time for our facilities to mirror our success.”
Anji Weissenfluh ’94, Director of Athletics
- Faster, safer multi-use turf field
- Lighting for expanded use
TRACK & FIELD
- Faster, safer surface
- Collegiate level competition
- Safer field event areas
These facility updates will have a very positive impact on many fronts as it will allow us to recruit, retain and keep even more high quality athletes healthy in their time as a Collegiate Athlete.”
-Ben, Welch Cross Country/ Track and Field Head Coach
BY THE NUMBERS
YEARS SINCE TRACK HAS BEEN RESURFACED
MILES TO HERMISTON AND BACK, WHERE “HOME” TRACK MEETS ARE HELD
EVENTS HELD IN COMMUNITY STADIUM IN 2017 BECAUSE OF FIELD CONDITIONS
EVENTS PER YEAR THAT COULD BE HELD IN COMMUNITY STADIUM AFTER UPGRADES
OF THE MONEY LEFT TO RAISE
Building champions on the field, in the classroom and in life.
Mountaineer athletics will be performing at a new level when major upgrades to Community Stadium and the track and field space are completed. This campaign is truly a “game changer” for the university and the community.
For Community Stadium:
Currently, the natural grass in Community Stadium limits use to fewer than a dozen EOU and high school games per year. The new synthetic playing surface is able to host a dozen events per week. It enables EOU to add men’s and women’s soccer matches to the stadium site as well as soccer events for La Grande High School. It also opens up possibilities for university and community clinics, camps, tournaments and intramural sports. EOU would also become eligible to host post-season play for high school and collegiate sports.
For Track & Field:
Although it boasts multiple national champions, EOU’s campus track and field team has been forced to host conference competitions off campus for the past several years, due to the condition of current facilities. The new track surface will offer a dramatic increase for improved access and performance and enables EOU to once again host collegiate meets in La Grande and make EOU, La Grande, and Union County a preferred destination.
Increase Performance, Attendance, Engagement
- Artificial Turf will enable training and competition for multiple sports year round regardless of weather.
- Resurfacing the track will provide a safe surface for our athletes to train and compete.
- Upgrade field event areas,in addition to the track resurface, will allow us to host home meets.
- Quality facilities will allow EOU to better engage and serve the La Grande community as we extend hospitality to local and regional middle and high schools and host camps and major regional events.
“This project would not be possible without the generosity of our donors, and we are very grateful for their support of Eastern.”
-Tim Camp, EOU Head Football Coach