Eastern Oregon University
University Council Student Affairs Committee
February 5, 2010
Present: Tawnya Lubbes, Doug Briney, Christy Oliveri, Tyler Dubsky, Patti Girrard, Stephen Jenkins, Camille Consolvo, Colleen Dunne-Cascio, Russell Waisanen, An Do, Chris Heidbrink, Andy Weidert
- Approval of the Minutes of the January 15, 2010 meeting were approved as revised.
- Action Items
- Medical Withdrawal Policy Approval – a discussion regarding the recommendation from the Academic Standards Committee to remove “a class or” from the document took place. Other minor revisions were suggested. A motion was made and seconded to approve the medical withdrawal policy with the suggested revisions. Motion passed. It was noted that the policy will now be forwarded to University Council as an information item and then to Cabinet.
- Missing Persons Policy – Jenkins gave an overview of the policy. It was mentioned that the policy should indicate that the “appropriate law enforcement authorities” rather than indicating that the LGPD would be notified. A motion was made and seconded to approve the missing persons policy with the suggested revisions. Motion passed. It was noted that the policy will now be forwarded to the University as an information item and then to Cabinet.
- Classroom Decorum Policy memo of deletion – Cascio and Consolvo gave an overview of the request to delete the Classroom Decorum Policy. A motion was made and seconded to approve the memo to University Council requesting the elimination of the policy. Motion passed. The Memo will be submitted to University Council for their action.
- Student Hearings Committee training – will be held on February 12, 2010 from 3-4:30 p.m. in Hoke 301.
- Information Items/Updates
- Student Employee Policy – Cascio informed the committee that there was minor revision to the policy. Specifically, the statement requiring part time students to obtain permission to work on campus was removed per new FICA exemption guidelines.
- Dogs on Campus Policy – Consolvo and Cascio gave an update regarding the recommendation from legal council to strike this OAR and to develop a policy for the campus. This policy is being drafted and will be brought forward to the committee at a later date.
- Time, Place, and Manner Policy – it was mentioned that the policy is currently being reviewed by legal council. Once we hear from them we will move forward with the approval process.
- Sexual Harassment Policy – Jenkins gave an overview of the revisions to the policy indicating that the subcommittee has been working on the policy for about three (3) years. The policy has been submitted to the President for his review and feedback. Once that information is collected and revisions made accordingly, the policy will be forwarded to University Council, Faculty Senate, and the President’s Cabinet for approval. It was mentioned that a mandatory Sexual Harassment training opportunity is forthcoming. Should see the email sometime soon – might have gone out today.
- Committee Membership Update – the committee was notified of the new members to the committee – welcome.
- Discussion Items
- Universal Student Health Insurance – Consolvo gave an overview of the student insurance options and what Student Affairs staff have been working on for the past two years with regard to universal student health insurance. Consolvo indicated that she received an email from one of her colleagues in the OUS system indicating that the universal student health insurance proposal that was just brought forward has been put on hold. The proposal may be looked at again in the future. It was mentioned that the current premium plan will be looked at for the 2010-11 academic year. It was mentioned that international students are not made aware of requirements for the purchase of the insurance and are ending up double covered – which is a great expense to them. It was mentioned that Dubsky would take this information (regarding international student insurance notification) to the Admissions staff for discussion.
- For the Good of the Order
- Mike McGee, comedian, will be in McKenzie Theatre
- Molly Vaughn’s senior recital
- Men’s and Women’s Basketball will be web cast. Currently ranked 20th in the country and tied for 1st place.
The meeting was adjourned at 4:08 p.m. The next Student Affairs Committee meeting will be held on March 5, 2010.Share: