Eastern Oregon University
University Council Student Affairs Committee
February 23, 2011
Present: Tawnya Lubbes, Doug Briney, Christy Oliveri, Melanie Noell, Patti Girrard, Robin Weinman, Camille Consolvo, Colleen Dunne-Cascio
- Approval of Minutes – the Minutes of the February 9, 2011 Student Affairs Committee meeting were approved.
- Reminders – the Student Affairs Committee was reminded of the Student Hearings Committee trainings to be held on February 24 and March 3, 2011 from 8-10 am in Hoke 203. All participants must attend both sessions.
- Discussion/Action Items:
- Animal Control Policy – the proposed animal control policy was reviewed and discussed. A question arose regarding whether or not the verbiage “any dog that is” should be removed. Other revisions were suggested for Section .130 of the policy. It was mentioned that the policy will be submitted to legal counsel for final review then to University Council and the President’s Cabinet before being distributed to the campus community. It was suggested that there will need to be a notification campaign of sorts in order to let the campus and community know of the new policy. A motion was made and seconded to approve the proposed Animal Control Policy with suggested revisions and pending legal counsel approval. Motion passed.
- Student Code of Conduct – the discussion and review of the proposed revisions to the Student Code of Conduct resumed. It was determined that the committee needed more time to review and make comments. The discussion will resume at the next committee meeting.
- Information Items
- Grievance Procedures – it was mentioned that the memo requesting the Grievance Committee review the procedures was forwarded to University Council for consideration.
- Gender Inclusive Space – the GSA has been working hard to make the restrooms on campus gender inclusive. A discussion took place regarding the restroom locations and the new signage that will go up identifying gender inclusive restrooms. In addition, the restrooms will have a “privacy lock” installed. The GSA is to be commended for their efforts and implementation of this initiative.
- EOU Tuition Taskforce – it was mentioned that state agencies must have their tuition and fee proposals in by April 8 for the 2012-13 academic year. In addition, the taskforce is also looking at out-of-state tuition and international student tuition with the idea to bring forward tuition proposals for the next three to four years out.
- For the Good of the Order
- GSA – the program “don’t ask, don’t tell” will be held today at 3pm
- Men’s basketball this week at 7pm
- Career Fair – will be held in Portland, Oregon on April 1, 2011. It is a great way for students to secure internships, identify graduate schools, and to network with potential employers and internship sites.
- Education Seminar will take place next week
- MAT and CUESTE cohorts will be here on March 4 from 8-6 pm all over campus.
The meeting adjourned at 3:43 pm.Share: