Eastern Oregon University
Office of Student Affairs Student Affairs Committee
December 3, 2009
Cory Peeke, Tawnya Lubbes, Doug Briney, Christy Oliveri, Patti Girrard, Stephen Jenkins, Camille Consolvo, Colleen Dunne-Cascio, Hailey Wolcott, Russell Waisanen, Tiffany Sukola, An Do, Keani Hueu, Tazha Passi
- Welcome: A welcome was extended to all committee members
- Committee Membership: all members introduced themselves
- Committee Charge: the committee reviewed the charge of the committee identified in the University Council Shared Governance Constitution.
- Student Affairs Committee Website: printed copies of the website were distributed
- Swine Flu: Consolvo reported that an ad-hoc swine flu committee had been formed. That committee has been working closely with the CHD. A back-up plan regarding pandemic illness has been developed. With regard to the campus community – there has been a lot of illness but we are not certain that the illness was swine flu specifically. Accommodations with food service were made for students in the residence halls so that their meals could be brought to them if they were sick. An EOU info line message went out to all faculty indicating that students were being encouraged to stay home and not required to go to class if they were feeling ill. The H1N1 immunizations have been distributed and given to first responders (health care professionals). Jenkins was notified by CHD that there was enough of the vaccine available so that a swine flu shot clinic could be scheduled in the residence halls. Looking at Monday or Tuesday. The biggest issue will be whether or not students would be here because of the winter break. A brief discussion took place regarding ideas on how to get students to the clinics. Lubbes posed a question regarding what is the best course of action to take with regard to the length of absence, etc., to accommodate for. Consolvo will check with the Deans and Presidents Cabinet for clarification and get back to Lubbes.
- New Business:
- Approval of Minutes: The Minutes of the May 13, 2009 and June 3, 2009 meetings were approved.
- Schedule of meeting dates and times: It was determined that the meetings would be scheduled every two weeks during winter term 2010. The next meeting will be held on January 15, 2010 from 3-4:30 p.m. The January 22nd meeting would be utilized to train the committee for the Student Hearings Committee from 3-4:30 p.m.
- Student Health Insurance Survey: Consolvo gave an update regarding the universal insurance proposal that OUS campuses have been working on for two years and discussed the outcome of the recent follow-up survey conducted fall term 2009.
- Unfinished Business Updates:
- Medical Withdrawal Policy: Consolvo mentioned that last year an ad-hoc committee was established to develop the medical withdrawal policy. The ad-hoc committee solicited feedback from the Academic Standards Committee. A discussion took place regarding the feedback from the Academic Standards Committee and the newly revised policy being brought forward. It was suggested that “consultation with faculty members prior to a medical withdrawal will occur” prior to a medical withdrawal.
- Dogs on Campus Policy: It was mentioned that last year it was recommended by Legal Council to delete this policy from the Oregon Administrative Rules and to develop an on campus policy. We are waiting on further recommendations from legal council in order to move forward.
- Time, Place, and Manner Policy: We are still waiting on approval from legal council before we move forward with the campus approval process.
- Student Clubs and Organizations Manual: Wolcott shared that the student clubs and organizations policy manual is being revised and is currently available electronically on the Center for Student Involvement website at https://www.eou.edu/center . All committee members were encouraged to review and submit any comments to her at email@example.com. It was mentioned that the policies that have not been addressed thus far are travel and risk management.
- Future Business
- Jenkins indicated that he will be submitting the proposed revisions to the residence hall contract soon.
Meeting adjourned at 2:51 p.m. The next Student Affairs Committee meeting is scheduled for Thursday, January 15, 2010.
Submitted by: Colleen Dunne-Cascio