Eastern Oregon University
Student Affairs Committee
November 9, 2007
The meeting of the Student Affairs Committee convened at 2:00 p.m.
Bill Grigsby, Doug Briney, Karyn Gomez, Vivian Petersen, Heather Stanhope, Pattie Girrard, Mike Daugherty, Les Balsiger, Elisha Adkins, Katy Barnett, Jennifer Romriell, Rheanna Clason, Taivan Saragerel.
- Introductions – went around the table and stated names and positions of each person.
- Approved the agenda for the meeting.
- Described roles of committee and reviewed committee duties and responsibilities as outlined in EOU Constitution.
- Reviewed Student Affairs Committee website. Made changes to front page to include charges of the committee.
- Approved June meeting minutes with grammatical changes.
- Elected Jennifer Romriell as co-chair of Student Affairs Committee and Rheanna Clason as secretary.
- Decided what days to meet and times. First Wednesday at 3-5 PM, of every month, save January
- January 16, 2008, 3-5 p.m.
- February 6, 2008, 3-5 p.m.
- March 5, 2008, 3-5 p.m.
Student Hearings Committee will also meet on Fridays when necessary. Taivan asked about the Student Hearings Committee. A Friday in winter term will be designated a meeting day to train the members for the Student Hearings Committee. An administrator or teaching faculty will serve as chair, there will be three students. The Committee will meet on Fridays from 3-5 p.m. when needed.
- Old Business, described by Katy. We are still waiting for approval on Time/Place/Manner policy and Medical Withdrawal Policy.
- It was brought to the attention that the University Council asked about our bylaws and Mike Daugherty asked about the Committee name changes.
- The next item for discussion was the Draft Plan. A copy was given to every member of the council.
- Mike Daugherty mentioned the written comment period which is currently ongoing and encouraged members to comment on the plan.
- Reorganization of the campus was discussed by both Mike and Les.
- Student Affairs is being reorganized
- College deans will form a Dean’s Council
- DDE will be better assimilated into the University
- Three student centers: Access, Life, and Success
- Key focus is ease of access but reduction of costs.
- Les Balsiger, Director of Student Access, will be in charge of Financial Aid, Admissions, Registrar, and International Programs. Cross-training has already begun so that more people can better assist students. Will be an “online, on site, on campus” delivery mode.
- It was explained that as of now, the plan is to make the University as sustainable as possible. The work is being done to keep all the programs that need to be kept to make this happen.
- It was discussed that the EOU website needs to be redesigned to be more user friendly.
- The cost of living on campus and campus dining was also discussed.
Minutes submitted by Rheanna Clason.