Eastern Oregon University > Residence Life > Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

I can’t wait to get there! When may I come?

Fall Term Check-in: Wednesday, September 21st is the Mountaineer Move-In Day and the Week of Welcome begins Saturday the 24th-27th prior to the start of classes. Winter term and Spring term check-in will be the Sunday prior to the start of classes. If you find that there is a need for you to arrive earlier, please contact the Residence Life Office to make those arrangements.

When do I find out what my room assignment is?

For the Fall term, students will generally receive this information in mid-August. All assignments and roommate selections are hand-picked. Residence Life assigns students to housing based on the date that a completed application and deposit are received. Residence Life accommodates students’ preferences for room assignments when possible but does not guarantee assignments based on preferences. Once we have completed your assignment you’ll receive an email (to your EOU email address) and mailer packet with your room assignment and roommate itinerary. Please note that any roommate request made requires that all parties, would need to be in agreement before the roommate request will be assigned.

Do I need to order my Student ID Card?

Student ID cards can be used for meal plans, fitness center access, and access to various locations including the Residence Halls, events, and activities sponsored by the University. The University is committed to the safety of all students, staff, and visitors to the university. To facilitate accountability and security, the University will require all personnel, students, and visitors to have proper University issued identification based on 4.10.25 – University Identification Card Policy. These can be ordered online at https://kb.eou.edu/faq/id-card or at the I.T. Office in Ackerman Hall RM 209 from Monday – Thursday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (excluding major holidays) https://kb.eou.edu/faq/id-card.

What if I get hungry? Where do I go to eat? What do I have to do to get something to eat?

Residents can get something to eat at Mountie Cafe and Mac’s Grill (temporarily closed) in Hoke Union Building. If you are on a meal plan and do not yet have your student ID card, just let the cashier/checker know and that person will check you off the list of students with meal plans. If you do have your ID card just swipe it through the machine.
Student ID pictures will be taken in the I.T. Office in Ackerman Hall RM 209 from Monday – Thursday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (excluding major holidays) https://kb.eou.edu/faq/id-card.

What do I need to bring? May I decorate my room?

All rooms are furnished but there are some things that you must supply. Please bring your own wastebasket, all your bedding (sheets to fit an extra-long twin mattress, size 36″ x 80″), towels, and personal items. You or your roommate will need to provide your own touch-tone phone. And, of course, you may bring your sound system, radios, CD players, mp3 players, etc. If you are a resident of North or Daugherty, cooking appliances such as toaster ovens, hot plates, and crock pots are not allowed. Alikut residents will need to bring cooking and eating utensils if they choose not to be on one of the meal plans.
The State Fire Marshall does not allow lightweight extension cords or multi-plug adapters in residence hall rooms. Please bring an isobar plug-in extension cord that has a fuse or trip switch instead of using an extension cord. For a complete list of suggested items to bring to campus, click What to Bring.
We feel that it is important that you personalize your space. Posters, plants, bedspreads, and a throw rug can help make your room seem more like home. However, we do ask that you avoid doing things that will damage the walls or woodwork. For example, transparent tape is almost impossible to clean off. Masking tape and self-adhesive hooks can be used with care. Carefully review the manufacturer’s suggestions for removing these products. Also, small picture hangers (metal hooks that come with small finishing nails) leave few, if any, marks if removed correctly by pulling the nails out at the same angle they were driven in. The question to ask yourself is whether you will be able to return your room to its previously unimaginative condition at the end of your stay.

I’ve changed my mind and I have decided not to move into the Residence Halls, what do I need to do?

If you do not intend to move into the Residence Hall please contact the Residence Life Office to cancel your contract. Failure to cancel by the dates listed below will result in your being assessed a cancellation fee.
August 15 – Fall term
December 15 – Winter term
March 15 – Spring term
After these dates, a fee of $250 will be charged for late cancellation.

Is there a curfew?

No, there is not a curfew. The buildings are locked at all times. Each resident has a security key card allowing her or him to get into the building at any time.

I’m a bit anxious about having a roommate. Any ideas for making it easier?
Who is my roommate?

Learning to live with a roommate is an important part of your housing experience. Residence halls are excellent places to develop lifelong friendships, so why not begin with your roommate? The key to roommate survival is mutual respect. Be aware of your own rights, but also be sensitive to others. If by chance you cannot work out differences with your roommate, contact your Resident Assistant (RA). They have been trained in arbitration and conflict resolution. RA’s are very much aware of what residence living is all about and they can be of great assistance to you.
If you would like to know who your roommate/suitemates are, log into Webster to view those details.

Are phone lines available?

Phone lines are available in the EOU residence halls by request only.  Contact Residence Life Office at reslife@eou.edu.

What about TV?

All the halls have TV cable jacks. Cable television is offered as part of your room and board. Each suite living room in Alikut, Daugherty, and North halls has cable TV.

What about a computer? Should I bring my own? Are the residence halls wired?

All the halls have a direct computer link through the data jack located in the room, as well as Wi-Fi in the common areas of each hall.  When you arrive, there will be additional information in your room explaining how to activate your data jack.
There are computer labs throughout the campus for all students to use. They are located in Loso, Ackerman, and Pierce Library.
Before using the network (Ethernet or Wi-Fi) be sure that your computer has:

  • Antivirus software with virus definitions is updated weekly.
  • Been updated with the security patches.

If your computer is not secure and viruses free the network port will be shut off indefinitely. This will be done to protect others on the network and your computer from more infections.
If you need help fixing a known virus problem (no charge, but only once!)  you can bring your computer (just the tower or the notebook) over to the Computing Services Center.
If you are unsure or have any questions about this information, please ask for help from the Computing Services Center in Ackermann Hall 209, call x23111 or email helpdesk@eou.edu.

Is parking available? Do I need a parking permit? Where do I get it?

Parking is provided for residents on a space-available basis. There are parking lots adjacent to each Residence Hall. Permits may be purchased at the Student Accounts office in Inlow Hall.

Is there anywhere to do laundry? Must I save it until I go home?

You may take all your dirty clothes home to get washed, but it will probably impress your family if you go home with clean clothes. Each residence hall has its own laundry facilities for residents’ use only. You will need to provide your own detergent, fabric softener, and iron. Laundry cards will be given to you at registration. You will be able to add value to your card at the outlet in the Hoke Union Building.

What do I do if I need laundry machine service?

There are a few options available for submitting a maintenance request and following the instructions on the poster. Online https://www.cscsw.com/request-service/, Download CSC Service Works App by Scanning the QR Code or Calling toll-free at 1-877-264-6622. CSC Service Works poster located in the Halls laundry rooms. If you lose your coins in the machine contact the Resident Life office at 541-962-3553 for reimbursement.

Laundry machine service form

What if something happens to my belongings? Do I need insurance?

The State of Oregon does not insure private property, so we recommend that you arrange for your own property insurance. Please visit NSSI’s website for more information. This does not constitute an endorsement of NSSI by Eastern, nor do we recommend any particular carrier over another.

Sending Mail to the Halls? Click Here

Academic Break 2022-2023

Thanksgiving Break

November 21- November 25, 2022, The Residence Halls and Dining Services will remain open for the duration of Thanksgiving week. There is no additional cost if a resident chooses to stay on campus. Please complete the Thanksgiving- Stay Over form.

Winter Break

December 19, 2022-January 8, 2023 Students must notify the Residence Life Office if they intend to stay anytime past 2:00 pm on Friday on Finals Week. Students may notify Residence Life by completing the Request to stay over during the Winter Break form.  The residence halls reopen for the Winter term on Sunday, January 8, 2023. The first meal served is dinner on Sunday.

Spring Break

March 24-April 2, 2023 Students must notify the Residence Life Office if they intend to stay anytime past 2:00 pm on Friday on Finals Week. Students may notify Residence Life by completing the Application for Residency During Vacation Period form. The residence halls reopen for the Spring term on Sunday, April 2, 2023. The first meal served is dinner on Sunday.

Summer Break

Beginning June 16, 2023 Students must notify the Residence Life Office if they intend to stay anytime past 2:00 pm on Friday on Finals Week. Residents wishing to stay during Summer to attend Summer courses, please see Short term- Housing.

Room and Board Rates 2022-2023

To view Room and Board Rates, please click here.

Cancellation Of Contract

Prior to check-in residents must notify the Residence Life Office of their intention to cancel their contract no later than August 15 for fall term, no later than December 15 for winter term, and no later than March 15 for the spring term. After these dates, a fee of $250 will be charged for the late cancellation of the contract. Residents may only be released from their contract if they meet one of the following reasons, withdrawal from EOU, graduation from EOU, participating in a university planned educational leave program, dismissal for EOU for academic reasons, or being denied admissions to EOU. If the student does not meet the criteria for release from the contract, a charge of $8 per day contract fee will be applied to the student’s account from the day of the check-out through the end of the academic year in June.

Looking for a Form?

Resident Life Forms https://www.eou.edu/reslife/forms/


Area Code 541
Student Success & Engagement 962-3635
Academic Advising Office 962-3520
Admissions/New Student Programs 962-3393
Bookstore 962-3691
Student Accounts 962-3590
Career Services Center 962-3588
Counseling Center 962-3524
Financial Aid 962-3550
Health Service 962-3524
Residence Life Office 962-3553
International Student Advisor 962-3141
International Student Secretary 962-3518
IT Help Desk 962-3111
Learning Center 962-3663
Library 962-3864
Micronesian Program 962-3390
National Student Exchange 962-3635
Physical Education 962-3772
Registrar’s Office 962-3607
Campus Safety and Security 962-3911
Student Activities 962-3704
Student Government Office 962-3387
Veterans Affairs 962-3504