My.EOU Portal Current Students Faculty/Staff
November 8, 2012
EOU file photo
LA GRANDE, Ore. (EOU) ⎯ International Education Week at EOU begins Monday, Nov. 12 with a Speed Speaking Language Exchange and Zumba Shake class.
Events throughout the week will provide participants with new knowledge of diversity and present broad points of view utilizing the five senses. Opportunities include listening to a lecture on the “Perception of Islam in Western Countries,” watching the colorful Global Fashion Show, tasting traditional dishes at the International Potluck, experiencing unique aromas at the Diversity Tea and exploring the tactile qualities of various cultural crafts.
Gwen Nakayama, president of the International Student Association at EOU, hopes that many people will attend this year.
“International Education Week is a very special event celebrated at EOU because it is when international students increase awareness about their countries through different activities, such as presentations and the fashion show,” Nakayama said.
Nakayama is from Micronesia, Chuuk. She is dedicated to sharing, exchanging and broadening people’s understandings of worldwide nations through her role with the International Student Association.
“In my perspective,” she said, “it is a perfect opportunity for both international and U.S. students to learn and develop a better comprehension about each other’s culture.”
For more information about International Education Week contact Janet Camp, international student adviser, at 541-962-3406.
A complete schedule of activities follows below:
Click image to download poster
• Speed Speaking, Language Exchange: 6 p.m., Hoke Main Lounge
• Zumba Shake with Ikaika Alapa’i : 8 p.m., Aerobics Room, Quinn Coliseum
• Diversity Experiences from the International Student Perspective–International Student Panel: 3 p.m., Hoke Main Lounge
• Perception of Islam in Western Countries by Rukhshona Mirzoartikova: 4 p.m., Zabel 101
• Study Abroad Fair: 11 a.m. – 2 p.m., Hoke Main Lounge
• Cultural Craft Tables: 6 p.m., Hoke Main Lounge
• Zumba Shake with Ikaika Alapa’i: 8 p.m., Aerobics Room, Quinn Coliseum
• Study Abroad: It’s for Everyone!: 3 p.m., Hoke 301
• Global Fashion Show: 4 p.m., Hoke Main Lounge
• International Potluck, Hosted by ISA: 6 p.m., Multicultural Center, Hoke 2nd Floor
• Diversity Tea: 3 p.m., Multicultural Center, Hoke 2nd Floor
• “Latino Roots in Oregon” documentary: 7 p.m., Hoke Main Lounge
« Cooper Birthday Bash supports Liberty Theatre restoration project | College Nights offer free planning tips for students & families »
EOUs assistant professor, Brooke Stout, MSA, CPA EOUs assistant professor, Brooke Stout, MSA, CPA was notified during the monthly College of Business meeting by Dr. Pat Hafford, IACBE President and Dr. Phyllis Okrepkie IACBE Vice President of Operations on Wednesday April 6, 2022, that she is this year’s recipient. Brooke is the first EOU accounting faculty member to receive the IMA Accounting Faculty of the year award.Read more
EOU Commencement 2022 Eastern Oregon University will hold its 92nd Commencement Ceremony on Saturday, June 11, 2022, in the Community Stadium on the La Grande campus, One University Blvd, 97850. The main Commencement Ceremony begins at 9:30 a.m. The university anticipates awarding up to 675 degrees and certificates this academic year with over 328 students […]Read more
professor of Chemistry Anna Cavinato will present the findings from her 2021 research sabbatical in microfluidics on Thursday, May 26Read more