Incoming Freshman

Financial Aid Office

Incoming Freshmen

If you’re reading this page, you’re probably: (1) a high school student checking out colleges; (2) a high school student who has applied for admission to EOU and plans to start classes fall term 2011; or (3) a parent with lots of questions.  We’ll try to answer some of the most common application processing questions below:


We Did the FAFSA on the Web – When Will I Receive an Award Letter?

If you have submitted your FAFSA on the Web and you put EOU’s school code on the FAFSA, EOU will receive an electronic application record. We begin to load records into our financial aid database in late February each year.   

Our goal is to send out the first group of award letters by the 3rd week of March.  We will send out our first 2011-12 award letters as soon as we receive the first Oregon Opportunity Grant award list.

I Received My Award Letter- Do I Need to Do Anything Else?

Yes!  EOU sends paper award letters to incoming freshmen.  If you have decided to attend EOU, you must return your award letter to office.  If your award letter has grants offered, they have been automatically accepted for you.  If you want loans, you must accept those.

I Returned My Award Letter – I’m Ready to Get Money Right?

No!  We send out award letters to all students as we get applications into our system.  In some cases, we do not have to do anything else.  In other cases, we have to review the student’s application and required verification documents before the awards offered become final.  We will communicate with you if we need additional documents or we have questions about your FAFSA.  If you have an address change, make sure you update that change with EOU.


Financial Aid Will Be Disbursed To My Account – What Does That Mean?

Right before fall term begins, the financial aid office sends disbursements (financial aid awards accepted) to students accounts.  Every student has a billing account.  This account represents charges for things like tuition, fees, housing, parking, and other university charges.  Your student account is managed by the Student Accounts Office.  Once financial aid disbursement happens, financial aid shows on your student account.  If your financial aid disbursement totals more than your account charges for the term, you will have a credit balance.  You can go to the Student Accounts Office and pick up a check to use for remaining expenses throughout the term.

If you have questions about payment plans or other things related to your Student Account, see the Student Accounts Office web site.


Do You Have Additional Questions?

If you have specific questions that we have not addressed on our web site, please call us or email us.  If you are coming to campus for a visit, come in and meet our staff!  We want you to be ready to start fall classes without being worried about your financial aid. 


Parent Access To Student Information

Many parents want to have access to their student’s financial aid, billing information, and grade reports.  Once a student matriculates (is admitted and enrolled) the student’s records are protected under the Federal Educational Rights & Privacy Act (FERPA). The financial aid office (and other offices at EOU) cannot discuss a student’s records with a parent until the student completes and turns in a Student Consent To Release Information Form.  Students can find this form on our financial aid web site forms page.


Hey Parents!  Want More Information About Financial Aid?  Check Out the Link Below!

Federal Direct Lending

EOU participates in the Federal Direct Loan Program.  Students who accept Subsidized and/or Unsubsidized Loans need to do two things:  (1) complete a Federal Direct Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN) and (2) complete an entrance interview.  These must be done before fall term loans will disburse to a student’s EOU account.  To complete a Stafford MPN go to

Parents who want to borrow in the Federal Direct Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS) Program must complete an EOU PLUS Loan Acceptance Form (see the Forms & Publications button on the left of this page) and Federal Direct PLUS Loan Master Promissory Note. To apply for a PLUS loan go to