Education in Action
2015-16 Academic Year
- Lenski, S., Larson, M., McElhone, D., Davis, D. S., Lauritzen, C., Villagómez, A., … Scales, W. D. (2016). What teachers want: A statewide survey of reading and ELA teachers’ instructional materials, preferences, and practices. Literacy Research & Instruction, DOI: 10.1080/19388071.2016.1156202
- Villagómez, A., Easton-Brooks, D., Gomez, K., Lubbes, T., & Johnson, K. (2016). Oregon Teacher Pathway: Responding to national trends. Equity & Excellence in Education, 49(1), 100-114.
- Subject of the article On Sabbatical at CCF in Issue No. 11 of Cheetah Strides, the Newsletter of the Cheetah Conservation Fund.
- Collaborative Success: Teaching Mathematics Using Collaborative Instruction in a Low-Income, Culturally Diverse Middle School, Journal of Modern Educational Review.
Illosvay, K., Villagómez, A., & Landon-Hays, M. (2015, November 21). Material matters: What teachers have to say about the curriculum. In Cultivating and assessing educator knowledge across secondary, two-year, and library contexts. Panel presented at the National Council of Teachers of English Annual Convention, Minneapolis, MN.
- Who I Am is How I Teach: Culturally Responsive Teacher Identity Development to Promote Social Change, Teaching with Purpose Conference, Portland, OR.
- Responding to the Rural Opportunity Gap Through Partnership Initiatives Centered in Culturally Responsive Practices, co-presented with Karyn Gomez, Kristin Johnson, Donald Easton-Brooks and Heidi Thorstad at the National Association for Multicultural Education (NAME) conference, New Orleans, LA.
- Invited speaker for the Constructivist Research, Theory, and Practice Special Interest Group meeting at the American Educational Research Association (AERA) annual meeting in Chicago, IL.
- International Visual Literacy Association conference: Integrating Visual Literacy Skills in PK-12 Education, November 2015.
- Co-presenting Vodcasting Methods to Increase Literacy Skills Development with Liz Becker at College Reading and Learning Association Conference, November 2015.
- Accepted paper January 2016-Association of Science Teacher Educators International Conference: Rural STEM Professional Development.
2014-15 Academic Year
- Visual Literacy (VL) in Teacher Preparation: Measurement to Direction in the Journal of Visual Literacy, Vol. 34, No. 1, Spring 2015.
Amanda Villagomez, Kerri Wenger, & Ernst-Slavit
- Blogging the Way to Understanding: Constructing Meaning Through Reflection and Interaction. In L.C. de Oliveira, M. Klassen, & M. Maune (Eds.), Common Core State Standards in Language Arts, Grades 6-12: For English Language Learners (pp. 95-110). Alexandria, VA: TESOL Press.
- Contributing authors to the book A Few of Our Favorite Things, Teaching Ideas for K-12 Science Methods Instructors. Available here.
Tawnya Lubbes, Heidi Harris, Nancy Knowles, and Jacob Harris
- Translation, Transformation, and “Taking it Back”: Moving between Face-to-Face and Online Writing in the Disciplines. The article can be found here.
- Understanding Resistance to Content Literacy by Pre-service Social Studies Teachers will be published in The Journal of Social Studies Research.
- Oregon Association of Teacher Educators (ORATE) conference: Integrating Visual Literacy Skills in PK-12 Education.
- Colloquium: Visual Literacy in Pre-Service Teacher Preparation.
- Oregon Association of Career and Technical Education (OACTE) conference: Integrating Visual Literacy Skills into the CTE Classroom.
- Association of Science Teacher Educators International Conference Paper presentation: Pre-Service Teachers’ Understanding of NGSS Science Practices and Their Ability to Incorporate Science Practices in Science Teaching.
- Oregon Science Teacher Association State Conference: Engineering Curriculum.
- National Science Teacher Association Conference: STEM Professional Development and Teacher Implementation.
- Accepted to present From Binder to Blackboard: Examining the Professional Evolution from Student to Teacher at The Hawaii International Conference on Education.
- I’m NOT a Reader Teacher!: Refocusing on the Social Studies presented by the 94th Annual Conference of the National Council for the Social Studies.