Eastern Oregon University > Art Program at EOU > Profile > Jaime Gustavson

Jaime Gustavson

I am interested in disgust and beauty. I wonder if it is possible to elicit both responses from the same painting. I’ve found that when I paint with oil, I can highlight subtleties in color and surface that are beautiful and might go unnoticed. When choosing subjects, I also choose a human emotion. Pig heads embody fear, worms embody lust, and ravens embody the beauty of play. These three paintings are from three separate series.

Presenting Fear        While painting this pig head the skin became very soft and subtle. To me a pig head is nasty, scary and very much something that I would not touch. However, the girl’s hands are grasping it close to her red and white striped skirt. The skirt‘s pattern represents America.  The complete painting is about how our country may present fear while holding fear within.

Holding onto Life       To me, ravens are the most proud, most fearless animal around. They do what they want regardless of what others may think. Ravens play alone and with others. It seems as if they are always enjoying life. Within this painting all of those qualities are being held, perhaps too tightly. Like “Presenting Fear,” the background is a pattern of red and white stripes, representing America.

Worm 3                      The series of worms tells many tales. Mostly, I enjoy the form and color within the worms. I love catching worms and watching them move. Like the pig heads, the worms are not inviting to touch. But I believe the form invites the idea of touch.

Jaime's painitng “Holding onto LIfe ”
oil on wood 

16″X 16″

jaime's painting“Holding onto Fear”
oil on wood 

16″X 16″

jaime'spainting“Worm 3″
oil on wood 

11″ X 11″