Advisor Goals and Responsibilities:
- Empower the student to devise coherent academic plans that are consistent with his/her life goals;
- Empower the student to determine and follow the necessary steps to achieve those goals;
- Empower the student to develop sound academic attitudes and practices that will enable the student to be an autonomous, self-regulated learner;
- Empower the student to identify and use resources effectively and to challenge him/herself in constructive ways.
Student Goals and Responsibilities:
- Accept full ownership for all decisions; academic advisors will assist by presenting options.
- Make and keep appointments with your advisor when you need assistance.
- Arrive at appointments prepared with a sample schedule that includes courses for your major, minor, general education, etc.
- Listen to and consider your advisor’s suggestions – then make your own decision.
- Identify and clarify personal values, abilities, interests, and goals.
- Talk with your advisor and faculty members in fields you are interested in.
- Take a variety of courses.
- Explore out-of-class opportunities such as internships, volunteer opportunities, Cornerstones, study abroad, student exchanges, etc.
- Take initiative to become knowledgeable of and adhere to institutional and departmental policies, procedures, and requirements.
- Review and understand the contents of the EOU General Catalog.
- Refer to your student handbook.
- Ask your advisor!
- Obtain and follow check-sheets for your major(s) and minor(s).
- Know the General Education requirements.
- Develop a sound academic attitude that results in understanding the value of your educational experience at EOU and approaching your learning with appropriate diligence and seriousness.
- Include academics as a top priority.
- Once you have decided upon a major, develop positive working relationships with faculty in your field of study and the appropriate academic advisor.
- Understand the value of a liberal arts education, the interrelatedness of coursework and importance of an exposure to a broad range of subjects.
- Follow-up on referrals made by your advisor to other campus offices such as Financial Aid, Student Accounts, Residence Life, etc.
top of page | Advising Home