Eastern Oregon University
Assembly Student Affairs Committee
January 18, 2006
1. Welcome and Introduction:
Dr. Sheldon Nord welcomed everyone to the committee and introductions were made.
2. Review of Committee responsibilities:
The description of the Eastern Oregon University Constitution, Section 5, Student Affairs Committee was reviewed. An overview of the committee’s efforts to change this section was discussed, giving the rationale behind the changes.
3. Selection/election of a Committee Chair and Vice Chair/Secretary
Chair nominations and election: John Weyant (not present) submitted his self-nomination for chair. A nomination for Anna Bacon to serve as Chair was brought forward. Anna Bacon accepted the nomination. An election by secret ballot took place. Dr. Nord counted ballots and submitted to Colleen Cascio for documentation – Anna Bacon was elected as Chair.
Vice Chair/Secretary nominations and election: A nomination for Lauren Moore was brought forward. Lauren accepted the nomination. No other nominations were submitted and nominations were closed. The committee accepted the vote of Lauren Moore by acclamation. There were no objections.
4. Selection of meeting dates and time
It was determined that the committee would meet the rest of winter term on the following dates and times:
- Thursday, February 9, 2006, from 2:00-3:30 p.m., Ackerman Alumni Room
- Thursday, March 2, 2006, from 2:00-3:30 p.m., Zabel Hall, Room 204-A
5. Discussion of goals and objectives for the rest of the year:
- February – Sex Offender Policy and Student Hearings Committee
- March – Guidelines for live-in policy (Mike Daugherty, Ben Calhoun and Lauren Moore will work on and submit to the committee for discussion and review)
- April – Time, Place, Manner policy
- May – Medical withdrawal policy
Additionally, there was discussion regarding guidelines for the Assembly Student Affairs Committee. The first draft will be submitted to the Committee for consideration at the March 2006 meeting.
6. Discussion regarding proposed Sex Offender Policy
A brief discussion and overview took place. The committee members will review the policy and discuss at the February meeting.