EOU shares diversity during International Education Week
News contact: Laura Hancock | University Advancement
541-962-3585 | email@example.com
November 8, 2012
LA GRANDE, Ore. (EOU) ⎯ International Education Week at EOU begins Monday, Nov. 12 with a Speed Speaking Language Exchange and Zumba Shake class.
Events throughout the week will provide participants with new knowledge of diversity and present broad points of view utilizing the five senses. Opportunities include listening to a lecture on the “Perception of Islam in Western Countries,” watching the colorful Global Fashion Show, tasting traditional dishes at the International Potluck, experiencing unique aromas at the Diversity Tea and exploring the tactile qualities of various cultural crafts.
Gwen Nakayama, president of the International Student Association at EOU, hopes that many people will attend this year.
“International Education Week is a very special event celebrated at EOU because it is when international students increase awareness about their countries through different activities, such as presentations and the fashion show,” Nakayama said.
Nakayama is from Micronesia, Chuuk. She is dedicated to sharing, exchanging and broadening people’s understandings of worldwide nations through her role with the International Student Association.
“In my perspective,” she said, “it is a perfect opportunity for both international and U.S. students to learn and develop a better comprehension about each other’s culture.”
For more information about International Education Week contact Janet Camp, international student adviser, at 541-962-3406.
A complete schedule of activities follows below:
Monday, Nov. 12
• Speed Speaking, Language Exchange: 6 p.m., Hoke Main Lounge
• Zumba Shake with Ikaika Alapa’i : 8 p.m., Aerobics Room, Quinn Coliseum
Tuesday, Nov. 13
• Diversity Experiences from the International Student Perspective–International Student Panel: 3 p.m., Hoke Main Lounge
• Perception of Islam in Western Countries by Rukhshona Mirzoartikova: 4 p.m., Zabel 101
Wednesday, Nov. 14
• Study Abroad Fair: 11 a.m. – 2 p.m., Hoke Main Lounge
• Cultural Craft Tables: 6 p.m., Hoke Main Lounge
• Zumba Shake with Ikaika Alapa’i: 8 p.m., Aerobics Room, Quinn Coliseum
Thursday, Nov. 15
• Study Abroad: It’s for Everyone!: 3 p.m., Hoke 301
• Global Fashion Show: 4 p.m., Hoke Main Lounge
• International Potluck, Hosted by ISA: 6 p.m., Multicultural Center, Hoke 2nd Floor
Friday, Nov. 16
• Diversity Tea: 3 p.m., Multicultural Center, Hoke 2nd Floor
• “Latino Roots in Oregon” documentary: 7 p.m., Hoke Main Lounge