These are Frequently Asked Questions that the Help Desk receives on a regular basis. They are sorted by category for easy navigation.
1. My blackboard course is not showing up when I log into blackboard. Where is it?
- Most of the time, the course just hasn’t been made available by the instructor. The first thing students should do is contact their instructor. Generally, courses aren’t available in Blackboard until the first day of class.When a student enrolls in a class, it can take up to 24 hours before they have access to that course in Blackboard. If a student registers for a class, then drops it, and then wants back into it James will need to be contacted at 541-962-3451
2. I was never given a blackboard username or password, can you tell me what it is?
- Your Blackboard username is the same as your E-Mail username ie, firstname.lastname@example.org would have a user name of doej for Blackboard. Also, your default password in Blackboard is the same as your default E-Mail password, which is your birthday (listed as year, month, date) in the following format: YYMMDD. If you are still unable to log into Blackboard after trying this, we encourage you to use the ‘forgot password’ link on the Blackboard login page. As long as you can access your EOU email, you will receive instructions on how to update your Blackboard password.
3. Blackboard is showing me classes from past terms that I am no longer enrolled in. Is there any way I can remove them?
- You can remove unwanted courses from the ‘my courses’ module in Blackboard by clicking on the small gear icon in the upper right corner of that module. That will take you to a page where you can deselect any classes you do not want to have appear on the main page. Once you’ve done that, click the submit button at the bottom and that should save those changes.
4. My blackboard password is not working, can you change it for me?
- If you have lost your Blackboard password and you can access your EOU Email, reset it by following this link: http://blackboard.eou.edu/webapps/blackboard/password
- If you cannot access your EOU Email for the Blackboard password reset function, please contact the help desk at 541-962-3111 with your EOU student ID number and your date of birth and we will reset the password for you.
- Please be aware, the default Blackboard password for all students is your birthday in the following format: YYMMDD (for example February 15, 1984 would be 840215).
5. I just got kicked out of my Blackboard exam/test before I had a chance to finish it. Can you let me back in?
- The resetting of online exams is done entirely at the discretion of the course instructor; help desk cannot reset an exam for you. However, we are glad to communicate with your course instructor in situations where a Blackboard server outage disrupted your test or assignment submission.
- Please be aware that the EOU Blackboard server is shut down daily in the early morning hours. We do not recommend taking exams between midnight and 5 A.M.
6. My professor has posted a video that I am supposed to view, but I am unable to do so. Can you help me figure out how to play it?
- If you are having issues viewing a video, please contact James Long at 541-962-3451.
7. It is my understanding that EOU has an agreement with McGraw Hill that instructors can purchase individual chapters of a textbook. Is this correct? Where can I find more information?
- To get set up initially, you’ll need to speak with Jay at McGraw Hill. If he’s providing you with any support, you may need to let him know you’re only using Blackboard 9.0. To get his specific contact information, please contact James Long at 541-962-3451
8. I am required to create a student blog on blackboard, how can I do this?
- The course instructor needs to create a blog before you (or any other students) are able to publish an entry under that blog. Please contact them for information.
9. I am missing the scroll bar in blackboard while using Google Chrome and Firefox. Is there a fix for this?
You should be able to correct the disappearing scroll bars by adjusting the size of the text (ctrl+ or ctrl-).
1. Where can I find out my EOU e-mail username and password?
- If you don’t know your E-Mail address, then you need to log into Webster (http://webster.eou.edu) to retrieve it.
- Browse to “Personal Information” – it’s in the middle of the page just above “Student Services & Financial Aid”.
- Click on “View E-Mail Address(es)” You should see your EOU assigned E-Mail address here
- Your password for your e-mail defaults to your birthday (listed as year, month, date) in the following format: YYMMDD. For example, February 14th, 1985 would look like this 850214.
2. What is Mountie-Pass?
- “Mountie-Pass” is your authentication to some of EOU’s online, campus and lab services. You’ll mostly use your Mountie-Pass as your username and password for your email account.
- In the near future, you may be able to user your Mountie-Pass for all sorts of things: Authenticated campus wireless, lab computers, blackboard login, etc. (We’ll keep you posted on any updates or new services that are using Mountie-Pass via Infoline.)
3. How can I change my e-mail username if my last name recently changed?
- If you’ve recently gotten married, or have a legal name change follow the instructions below to have your Mountie-Pass updated.
- For Students: Visit the Registrar’s office in Inlow 105 to update your information, Submit a Technology Ticket, put ”Last name change – New email address request” in the subject field, and include your EOU ID number (910…) and birthday in the description.
- For Faculty/Staff: Contact the Human Resource office in Inlow 209 to update your information, Submit a Technology Ticket, put ”Last name change – New email address request” in the subject field, and include your EOU ID number (910…) and birthday in the description.
4. What is “Infoline” and “East-Talk” and how do I get added to those e-mail groups?
- “Infoline” is official EOU news and information. Every new EOU employee e-mail account that is created automatically gets added to this list. If you’re not receiving Infoline e-mails, please contact University Advancement at (541) 962-3585 or email@example.com.
- “East-Talk” is a open e-mail forum where all EOU employees who are enrolled into the group can speak about various topics, sell items, announce upcoming events and many other examples. You have to request to be added to this list by contacting the EOU IT Help Desk at (541) 962-3111 or submit a Technology Ticket.
5. I am trying to setup my Apple e-mail manager, but it will not access my EOU e-mail account. Can you help me?
- Please go to http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=81379 for instructions on how to setup your gmail on your Apple E-mail Manager.
6. I cannot find the send/delete/reply button in Gmail. Where is it?
- Please go to http://www.eou.edu/email. Here you will see a red button that says training. Please go there for access to training videos and related documents.
7. Can I log into my EOU E-Mail account from the regular Gmail page? (www.gmail.com)
- Yes you can as long as you enter your entire e-mail address into the username text field.
8. I am having troubles using google docs, where can I get assistance with my questions?
- Lynne Tilley is doing some tutoring in computer applications for students Spring term but no schedule has been posted yet. The student will just need to contact Lynn Tilley (2-3235 or firstname.lastname@example.org for a Spring Term Schedule. Not sure if it’ll continue into Fall 2012 but we can make a case for it to do so if it’s popular enough.
9. Is there a way to set up my e-mail so I can have two of my gmail accounts open in the same browser?
- Please follow this link http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-20119420-285/how-to-sign-in-to-multiple-gmail-accounts-simultaneously/ for instructions on how to have two accounts open at the same time.
1. What is Webster?
- Webster is where students go to register for classes, look at grades, and see personal information.
2. What information do I need to log in to Webster?
- To log in to Webster, you will need your 9 digit student ID number (starts with 910…) and you will also need your pin number, which defaults to your birthday in the format of YYMMDD.
3. How do I load my syllabus into webster?
- Click on this link: http://www.eou.edu/bb/. Under “Instructors” click “Publish Syllabus.” IT created this guide to give step by step instructions on how to upload course syllabi.
1. My Plantronics wireless headset is having issues. How can I get assistance with this issue?
- To get help with your wireless headset, please visit http://www.plantronics.com/us/support/;jsessionid=298F907BBC4F27596FEFFDAACA0C4DBC.foxtrot. You can explore the knowledge base for answers with your questions, or you can do a live chat.
3. I am trying to dial a local off campus number, how do I do this?
- Simply dial the area code and the number. Any number called within the continental United States will work. Any others (Hawaii, Alaska or International) requires the assistance of the EOU IT Help Desk (email@example.com).
4. How do I locate EOU Staff & Faculty for a phone number or a e-mail address?
- Please visit https://people.eou.edu/directory/ and enter in their information to search for a phone number or a e-mail address.
1. My computer in my office on campus is not picking up an internet connection. What should I do?
- First, please try restarting your computer. If this does not work, Call the IT Help Desk at 2-3111 and we will work on the issue.
2. The internet in my dorm room is not working, what do I do?
- First, please try restarting your computer. Then try disconnecting the cable from the wall jack. Also try both jacks. In most cases the data jack is the higher or even numbered jack in your room. If you’re still experiencing connection issues, please contact the IT Help Desk at 2-3111 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. I cannot connect to the EOU wireless, what should I do?
- First, check to see if you can get a signal. Currently the wireless coverage doesn’t cover the entire EOU campus. If you can see the signal, try connecting to it. It currently doesn’t require a username or password so you should be able to connect to it. If you’re still having problems, schedule a appointment for them to come to Ackerman 209 with their laptop (Staff & Faculty only – student, please refer to the PC Repair Program) and complete a ticket for a tech to assist them.
4. I am experiencing some lag issues with the internet when I try to use my Xbox. Is there a problem with the connection?
- There can be issues from time to time based on the amount of traffic the Dorm Network gets daily. If you do come across this issue again, please recording some information to help us nail down the specific issue. Please note the following:
- The time (please be as exact as possible)
- The specific site (or sites) that you’re trying to access, noting the page load time.
- If you don’t mind sharing the URL, please note that. (for instance, the Youtube video link, etc)
- Try accessing http://eou.edu and https://support.eou.edu and note how fast they load.
- Try going to http://speedtest.net and click “begin test”. when the test is finished, click “copy direct link” and paste it into your response below.
1. Is there a free version of Microsoft Office software available for students to put on their computers?
- No, but there is a discounted version you can purchase here: http://www.techhead.org/highered/featured-products/microsoft-office-2010-professional-plus.html
- An alternative would be to download Open Office for free at: http://www.openoffice.org/ You can save the documents as a .doc file and they can be opened with Microsoft Word.
- You also have access to Google Documents, Spreadsheets and Presentation free through your EOU email account. All three work like Microsoft Word, Excel & PowerPoint and can download as Microsoft files to be opened in Office.
2. Read out loud is not working on my computer, how can I get it to work?
- Please view: http://www.donjohnston.com/support/softwarerequirements.html for the most up to date software support for this product.
3. The evergreen staff client is not working, who do I contact about this?
- Please contact David Drexler at 962-3017 for all issues regarding Evergreen.
4. I heard EOU IT sells software to students at a discount, is this true?
- IT does not sell software to students on campus. If you need to purchase software at a discount, please go to www.techhead.org. You will receive an education discount on some software at this website.
5. Do you provide any software training for the programs I have installed on my computer?
- Once in a while, the IT department will offer free in-class training on certain software. However, due to our small staff, we aren’t able to offer classes all of the time but we do provide online training that you can access at anytime by clicking this link.
1. The printer in my office has a major error and is not working. How can I get it to work?
- Any network printer hardware issues are referred to a local printer service company. Please contact IT at 2-3111 or email: email@example.com and we can contact them to fix the issue.
2. Does EOU have copy services available?
- Yes it does and it’s located in the EOU Bookstore in the first floor of Hoke Hall. You can get more information from their website by clicking here or by phone: (541) 962-3035. They also offer delivery on-campus during the school year to most buildings on campus.
1. There has been a credit card transaction issue at the Loso box office. Who do I need to contact about these issues?
- Contact Student Accounts at 962-3306 or firstname.lastname@example.org for Credit Card transaction issues.
2. I would like to set up e-disbursement, how do I do this?
- You’ll need to talk with EOU Student Accounts about this. Please view this page for more information on how to get e-disbursement set-up: http://www.eou.edu/staccts/e-disbursement-direct-deposit/
3. I need to schedule a room for a conference, who do I contact to do this?
- Please contact the EOU Events Coordinator at 962-3575 or email@example.com to schedule a room. You can also view the available rooms at: www.eou.edu/events/
4. How do I locate EOU Staff & Faculty for a phone number or a e-mail address?
- Please go to http://people.eou.edu/directory and put in their information.
5. Are MAC computers vulnerable to a certain virus through Adobe flash player or other Java updates?
- Yes, there are viruses out there and it is possible that you could get it if you don’t stay cautious when using the internet. If you stick to ‘known’ web pages, don’t open strange or un-requested email attachments, and run system updates as soon as they are available, you will be safe.
6. Where can I purchase tickets for EOU theater events on campus?
- To purchase tickets online, please visit: www.ticketpeak.com/eou and select the night you’d like to see it, select any available seats, purchase your tickets and print them out yourself.Or you can contact the EOU Box Office to purchase them at 541-962-3757
7. Can students create their own website at EOU?
- Students can create their own web pages using Google Sites from their eou.edu accounts. We have a training page set-up and it’s located at: www.eou.edu/it/google-apps
8. Is there a way to give a person editing privileges for just one page within a WordPress site?
- WordPress doesn’t work like Contribute where you can lock people down to certain pages. If you give them rights to your particular site, they get rights to your entire site, not just specific pages.
For more information, contact the EOU IT Help Desk at (541) 962-3111 or submit a Technology Ticket.