Liberal Studies Capstone in History
Students completing a Liberal Studies degree who have a minor in History may elect to write a Liberal Studies capstone with a History focus. Before beginning, be sure you are familiar with the steps for completing a Liberal Studies degree.
After determining that you want to complete a Liberal Studies capstone in History, your first job is to narrow down potential topics. When you approach a faculty member about working together, please have this topic and a bibliography ready to discuss.
Basic requirements for the Liberal Studies capstone in History are as follows:
1. Students are required to contact department faculty 2-3 terms prior to their LS Capstone term.
2. Students are required to take HIST 203: Historical Methods prior to completing their LS Capstone. HIST 203 is a Gen-Ed (AEH) and UWR course.
3. Students must produce a paper of at least 25 pages, double spaced, 1″ margins, not including bibliography or title page.
4. Paper must draw directly on at least 4 primary sources and 10 secondary sources.
5. Paper must integrate the other LS minor.
6. Citations and bibliography must conform to The Chicago Manual of Style.
7. A completed, thorough and edited draft must be handed in to the faculty adviser by week 6 of the quarter in which a student is enrolled.
8. A final draft must be completed by the last teaching day of the term in which the student is enrolled.
Read here about recent capstone students and their projects.