1. 180 Total Credits, of which
- 45 must be EOU Residency Credits.(The term “Residency” includes EOU distance education courses and those taken on the main EOU campus.) Residency credit may also be earned through EOU’s APEL 390, “Assessment of Prior Experiential Learning.” Classroom format FSA institute courses taken through Western Oregon University transfer as residency credits to EOU.
- A Minimum of 60 credits must be Upper Division.
- A Maximum of 120 credits may be Lower Division.
2. General Education, 60 credits.
General Education requirements may be found on the web at http://www.eou.edu/catalog/
3. Additional Requirements:
The University requires completion with a C- or better of college-level math at the 100 level or above. (the math class must have a prerequisite of Math 95.)
Students Admitted Fall 2010 or later must complete 5 credits of DPD coursework (Difference, Power and Discrimination). The FSA Program offers FSA 345, Multiculturalism in Emergency Services; this course will fulfill the DPD requirement.
The BA requires 2 years of a single foreign language.
Both the BS and the BA degrees require a Senior Project, or Capstone. (see below for FSA capstone information.)
EOU requires that all degree candidates complete the University Writing Requirement.
FSA MAJOR REQUIREMENTS
Lower Division Professional Courses
These courses or their equivalents must be completed in conjunction with EOU’s FSA degree program. An approved fire science degree that includes these courses or topics will also be accepted. (Under certain circumstances, the FSA Degree Director may waive or partially waive a fire science requirement.)
Introduction to Fire Protection
Major Emergency Tactics and Strategy
Fundamentals of Fire Prevention
Building Construction for Fire Suppression
Fire Department Leadership
Fire Protection Systems & Extinguishers
Fire Codes & Ordinances
Public Relations/Information Education
Fire Department Budget
Upper Division Professional Courses:
(Institute Courses) 21 credits, 3 credits each.
Basic Institute Courses:
The requirement for some of these courses may be met by taking parallel courses through distance education offerings provided through Western Oregon University. (For more information, click on the “Distance Options” link on the right side).
- FSA 307. Emergency Service Delivery
- FSA 309. Fire Investigation & Analysis
- FSA 311. Principles of Fire Protection Management
- FSA 313. Personnel Management for Fire and Emergency Services
- FSA 315. Organization for Fire Protection
- FSA 317. Fiscal Management in Fire Protection
- FSA 319. Political and Legal Foundations in Fire Protection
FSA Elective Courses:
- FSA 336. Managerial Issues in Hazardous Materials
- FSA 345 Multiculturalism in Emergency Services (5 credits) (DPD)
- FSA 360 Aviation Management in Fire Suppression
- FSA 460 Advanced Aviation Management in Fire Suppression
Advanced Institute Courses:
Seven “advanced” institute courses are available online and in hybrid format at various times throughout the year:
- FSA 411. Management Information Systems
- FSA 415. Local Government Administration and Community Politics
- FSA 417. Advanced Fiscal Management
- FSA 419. Advanced Legal Aspects
- FSA 421. Advanced Fire Protection Master Planning
- FSA 423. Labor Management Relations
- FSA 445. Organizational Psychology
Upper-Division Elective Category:
Students must complete 27 upper-division elective credits by completing Business, Social Sciences, Communication courses and/or additional FSA courses.
One advanced institute (400 level) is required as an EOU Capstone in the FSA Major (3 credits).